Thread: ID help

ID help

I could really use some input. I bought a camera and tripod at an auction. I was really buying it for the tripod. Unfortunately it’s missing the head or at least the parts that would connect it to the head. It doesn’t appear to be a crown tripod. It says Eastman Kodak C patent pending. It came with what appears to be a type of EK Premo glass plate camera. Any help on identifying these items would be great. I really want to be able to set up the tripod to be functional for a display piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5762.jpg   IMG_5759.jpg   IMG_5761.jpg  

Re: ID help

Are you sure you can't attach that tripod head by putting the "U" shape of each tripod legs in the slots.. that's how one of the older tripods I found works. You may need to apply a bit of force to get them to snap in. Mine also came with a brass bracket system that keeps the legs from going all over the place, but that's not required.

You are completely right! The brass fittings flip up. They weren’t budging and I didn’t want to force them. I was looking at the crown tripods and assumed that I was missing a piece. Any thoughts on the model or age? Regardless I’m thrilled it will actually work. Thank you

I think what you had is No 4 Kodak from 1889 to 1897. Leather covered wood box; two reflecting finders; front panel removes to adjust aperture and shutter; string-set shutter; 4x5 picture size. very nice collection. At less $600. very rare.

Thanks I really appreciate your input. I’m thrilled to have a bonus to add to my collection. I bought it for the tripod. The picture on the auction site was poor. I thought the camera was going to be a little Brownie. Fun surprise