Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Linhof TK on tripod

Carrying Linhof TK on tripod

Does anyone regularly carry their 4x5 w/ lens on their tripod? I've been detaching my TK, bellows, and lens, and putting everything back in the backpack to move from one location to another while shooting. The reason being my worry that my TK might fall off the tripod (Feisol CT 3441S with Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head). But folding up and then constantly refolding the TK, while easy, is a bit of a PITA. Are my concerns about the ability of the tripod / head to hold the TK justified? Anybody have any experience with a disaster? Thanks!

If my next spot is near, and footing is good, I don't detach. If my next spot is a hike or footing is dicey I pack up. I don't worry about the head, I worry about tripping.

Re: Carrying Linhof TK on tripod

I'll leave a camera on the tripod, if, as has been mentioned, footing is solid and there are no branches to damage the camera. I use a Linhof STIV and a Deardorff V8. The risk of damaging the camera is much greater on the tripod. When I do leave the camera on, I wrap it with the darkcloth.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I try to compress the bellows to present less fragile area. I also use a really solid attachment, now a RRS plate but formerly a Linhof head with an oversized screw. And I check that every few minutes out of habit. A bag over the camera is great for dust protection all of the time.

... I occasionally carry my TK mounted on my Feisol 3371 with a manfrotto 410 head. So far no troubles. But unless I'm only walking less than, say, 100 meters, I always pack it up. Safer for the lenses as well.

Do you sling it over your shoulder while walking or carry it under your arm?
    I would fell most comfortable with the feet of the tripod behind me and the camera in front of me so I see what it might hit-before it hits it.
    With the camera over your shoulder behind you all kinds of unpleasent things could happen.

I carried mine that way (over the shoulder), for the same reason you're thinking of doing it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks ALL for the great responses. I usually do as Bob S. has described, with the tripod underarm, the camera in front balanced in my right hand.
    I guess my major worry has always been the dinky 3/4" screw that holds the tripod head in place. Thinking of Murphy's law makes me dread the day when the screw snaps and the whole thing comes tumbling down.
    I normally pack everything up if I'm hiking off more then 150m, but always take the lens off. Too bad the TK isn't as compact when kept unfolded and ready for action.
    It is good to hear that no one has ever had the camera break off the tripod!
    Thanks again!

I use a TK a lot but mostly with a backpack if I need to hike much more than about 100 meters. I'll leave it on the tripod all setup with lens and cable release and transport the assembly around a local area where there are multiple interesting shots. Usually I'll fold in the legs and carry the tripod with TK upright or leaning against my shoulder.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by J Maxwell View Post
    Thanks ALL for the great responses. I usually do as Bob S. has described, with the tripod underarm, the camera in front balanced in my right hand.
    I guess my major worry has always been the dinky 3/4" screw that holds the tripod head in place. Thinking of Murphy's law makes me dread the day when the screw snaps and the whole thing comes tumbling down.
    I normally pack everything up if I'm hiking off more then 150m, but always take the lens off. Too bad the TK isn't as compact when kept unfolded and ready for action.
    It is good to hear that no one has ever had the camera break off the tripod!
    Thanks again!

Ummmm. A 3/4" screw is far from "dinky". If perchance you mean 1/4", get a grade 8 screw and rest secure - the head or tripod will fail before the screw does.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.