Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Arca Swiss "Field" Monorail

New Arca Swiss "Field" Monorail

Does anyone own this new version of the f-line arca swiss 4x5's? or possibly have used it? i was just wondering about impressions of it and/or how it works. thanks.

The lack of any rear movements (for compactness, to fit in the cool ladybug case) put me off.

Patrick,

I have one that I purchased on *-bay and I am very happy with it. The movements and controls are very logical to me, and work smoothly with a minimum of fuss. It's a little heavier than a wooden field camera but the flexibility and full range of movements is worth it for me. (I'm not sure which camera CXC is referring to, as this camera has full rear movements.) I especially like being able to pack it back in the backpack with a lens attached so I can pull it out, put it on the tripod and it's ready to go.....

CJ

Hi Guys,

CJ are you talking about the "field" that comes with the 6x9 front and 4x5 back, but otherwise is a standard monorail and that has been out for some time or the new Arca-Swiss Misura 4x5? http://www.badgergraphic.com/search_product2.asp?x=3842 This is the second camera that I think the poster is talking about and from what I have heard wasn't going to come with back movements. But this was second hand info before the camerea was released so this my be incorrect. If so I'd be interested to find out.

here is apparently a difference in steet models between this

http://www.badgergraphic.com/search_product2.asp?x=3842 http://www.pcphotoreview.com/GALPhoto_58489crx.aspx

and this http://www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/Large_Format/Arca-Swiss/arca-swiss.html http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=116075&is=REG

Mainly the back standards are different (though I'm not sure anyone has seen a Misura on the shelves?)

Also, the former comes from the Arca Swiss factory and is known as the Misura and, in some markets, the Field

the latter is put together by the US Importer fromm Arca modular parts, just for the US market (though of course anyone could buy the parts and put one together)

Badger lists both
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I was commenting on the new model. Here are my comments on the old one.

I have seen and touched the old model in the field (Yosemite, Tunnel View, in fact), and was quite impressed. It was funny situation: I, an amateur, was there with my ultra light (early) Gowland, and he, a pro, was there with his Arca Field, and each of us coveted the other's camera. I craved the sturdiness, precision, ease of use, and beauty of the Arca; he wanted a Gowland that weighs almost literally nothing and is tiny, to pack into the back country.

He could see no reason to have a full-sized front standard on the Arca for the field, and convinced me as well. When it came time to upgrade, I came very near to buying this camera, but in the end I decided I preferred a base plate camera, that folded up into a relatively bomb-proof package (a Walker, in fact). I would not hesitate to recommend the old Arca Field to anyone wanting a monorail to use outside.

I still prefer to use a monorail, but I prefer to set up, tear down, pack, and carry a base plate. The new Arca seems designed to address concerns like this; however, the frozen back makes it relatively pointless as a monorail. IMHO, that is.

The new Misura and the plastic Toyo CF seem to be ill-conceived designs marketed simply to introduce something new, not better. I can't see either camera selling to anyone except to absolute beginners, who will either give up on large format or buy a different brand of camera when they get serious.

That might be true Frank, but Aprox. $3500-3800 for the Misura for a beginners camera?

Yikes. Sounds like all twenty two dentists who buy them will get screwed!

BTW, has anyone seen a Misura and is sure there's no back movements at all or is everyone working on hearsay (myself included)?