Thread: How much RAM for Large Files (this is an older computer)*

How much RAM for Large Files (this is an older computer)*

Hi,
    My computer has been running slowly lately, and I want to add some RAM to it to help speed it up. But my concern is that it is a Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 4 GB Memory purchased in 2007.

I'm wondering how much Ram I should add to this computer, given that it's a relatively older processor? At some point, does the extra RAM not make much difference if your processor is just older and slower?

I work on large image files, often 1GB files, often opening more than one at once in photoshop, while also having other applications open, like Lightroom, a web browser, and while also printing prints on my inkjet printer, etc.

Thanks!

Go to crucial.com and see how much it will hold and what it costs. If it is still available, you can probably buy 12 gigs for less than $100 and that will help.

Re: How much RAM for Large Files (this is an older computer)*

I've looked into it extensively and 16G of RAM costs $300. That was a little more than I wanted to spend. But if that will make a huge difference and if it's worth it, I guess I will. My question is, do you think the slowness of my computer is more of a RAM problem or a slow processor problem? Will 8GB of RAM solve the problem? Will 16GB of RAM make it even faster, or will that just be overkill on an older machine?

16 gb RAM will make a huge difference, no matter the processor. Best bang for the buck by a mile.

retrogrouchy

If it is swapping (very likely, given you have multiple big files open), then more RAM will help. Open up a process monitor, look at the memory consumption + swap consumption at your heaviest load and then buy slightly more memory than that. And before you make the measurement, ensure your editor's tile-cache is large enough to hold a couple of images in RAM, otherwise the editor will manually swap stuff to disc instead of using memory, and no amount of additional memory will make any difference.

Preston Birdwell

...2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon...
    Do you have two Xeon CPU's? Then you likely have two-2GB RAM sticks, one for each CPU. If my assumption is correct, you will need 2-4GB sticks per CPU for a total of 16GB. Be sure you get the correct speed and type of RAM. The specs for the motherboard will tell you exactly what the maximums are, as well as speed and type of RAM.

Since you have multiple large files open in PS, I suggest closing programs you're not using. Not only will this realease more RAM for PS, it will limit hits to your scratch disk.

Added: I have an i5 quad core, 16GB of RAM, and a 1GB video card on a PC. Large files in PS are not a problem at all. My biggest performance gain came from installing my OS, most used programs, and storing my working files on a 240GB Intel SSD.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Okay, Thanks for your responses. That was helpful.