Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morro Rock(the one on Morro Bay, not the Sierras)

Morro Rock(the one on Morro Bay, not the Sierras)

A shadow of it's self before the top was dynamited during WW2, but even so it is still a unique formation. I'll be there next week for a day and I've been thinking of interesting views of it to tackle. So many photographs have been taken of El Morro that it has become a photographic cliche, like Half Dome and El Capitan. I'm thinking that fog or other atmospheric conditions will be my best friends in attempting to capture El Morro but I'm open to suggestions, in particular less used vantage points, perhaps across the channel on the dunes at Oro de Oro? Or maybe a vista from a hilltop including the channel?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Morro Rock(the one on Morro Bay, not the Sierras)

John,

Cliché or not you really can't go wrong taking photos of the rock in and around Morro Bay. On a clear day you can see it from the north on Hwy 46. Here's a view from there that includes the rock but only if you look closely. (Red arrow added for clarity's sake.) A longer lens would have helped, of course. Have fun!

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    John,

Cliché or not you really can't go wrong taking photos of the rock in and around Morro Bay. On a clear day you can see it from the north on Hwy 46. Here's a view from there that includes the rock but only if you look closely. (Red arrow added for clarity's sake.) A longer lens would have helped, of course. Have fun!

Jonathan
    You nailed it Jonathan!

One thing I've wanted to revisit is some shell mounds near Los Osos. Have to assume there are shell mounds everywhere and you could find one with a view of the rock.

jadphoto

Oro de Oro? Montana de Oro perhaps?

Try sunrise or sunset from Black Hill. There are (arguably) 10 Morros starting in San Luis Obispo, with Morro Rock the 9th in the chain, the 10th is the Davidson Sea Mount and is underwater several miles off shore. Black Hill is the 8th and is part of the State Park. The road to the trailhead is up through the golf course, I can't remember the name of the road but I'm sure Peter Mounier will pipe up here any minute now.

There are dunes, albeit small ones, to the north of the rock, and you can do some nice things with the dunes and dune grasses in the foreground if the wind cooperates. You can also take a water taxi to the sand spit and save yourself a lot of walking if you want to shoot from there.

No problem finding fog this time of the year, we're in the midst of the famous "June Gloom" season.

Don't miss lunch or dinner at the Bayside, it's located at the State Park Marina, not a bad place to shoot from either.

Enjoy yourself,

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    Oro de Oro? Montana de Oro perhaps?

There are (arguably) 10 Morros starting in San Luis Obispo, with Morro Rock the 9th in the chain, the 10th is the Davidson Sea Mount and is underwater several miles off shore.

Don't miss lunch or dinner at the Bayside, it's located at the State Park Marina, not a bad place to shoot from either.

JD
    Growing up in that area...I was always told about 'the seven sisters'...so it's interesting to find out about the three others

Can one get to that sand spit across the bay w/o renting a kayak or something? I always wanted to get out there

as for lunch..is 'the Hoffbrau' still around in Morro Bay proper?

also.. lunch

jadphoto

It kinda depends how and what you count, but I illustrated a book (Mountains of Fire) about the geology of the Morros and the wisdom at that time (mid-80s) was that there are 10 named Morros. Please don't ask me to name all of them anymore though.

The Hofbrau is still on the embarcadero but they moved and are now closer to the rock than you probably remember.

You can get to the sand spit by hiring a water taxi or renting a boat/kayak. There is now access from a parking area just past the Montana de Oro entrance but it's at the extreme south end of the sand spit. Water taxi is the best bet, although Kayak Horizons on the Embarcadero next to the yacht club has nice boats for rent, but watch the tides, if you get pulled outside the bay at your next land fall they'll be speaking Japanese!

JD

Peter

I don't have much to add, Joseph said it all ;-) It is difficult to get to the sandspit across the bay with heavy gear, since the only way I know about is to walk it from the Montaña de Oro trail, and from there it's about a 3 or 4 mile hike on the beach. Unless someone started up a new service that I'm not aware of, the water taxi is a thing of the past. The sandspit is a great untrampled place though, and even from Montaña de Oro there are some good views with nice sand dunes.

There are nice textures in the back bay at low tide. Nice views from Los Osos. From the top of Black Hill in the state park is a good vista, and that's an easy .5 mile hike (or less). In the south of town, near the natural history museum, and adjacent to the golf course in the state park is a little pull-out with a nice view of the rock, and a trail around the museum that might offer a nice view from a slightly higher vantage point (50' maybe). Even right in the middle of town you can get to the bluffs overlooking the embarcadero with views of the t-piers (as they're called) and fishing boats. Maybe one of the least photographed views is close up, rather than from a distance. On the north side of the rock is a little trail with some nice views looking straight up. And on the south west side the waves break against the rock, and if there's a big swell it's pretty awesome.

If you're inclined, send me an email or pm me and if I'm not too busy we can meet and go shoot together. What day are you going to be in town?

Peter (from Morro Bay)

Oh, the names of the seven (remaining) sisters, heading east from Black Hill are Cerro Cabrillo, Hollister Peak, Cerro Romauldo, Chumash Peak, Bishops Peak, Cerro San Luis, and Islay Hill.

Peter

Peter

This is a view towards Morro Bay with a view of 4 of the 7 sisters. Taken from Cuesta Ridge on Tower Rd., which you can access from Hwy 101 going north of SLO. At the very top of the grade, cross the southbound lanes to get off the freeway and onto the unmarked Tower Rd. Drive along the ridge in any ordinary vehicle until you see the views, probably no more than a mile.

Peter

jadphoto

Hi Peter, I thought you'd show up.

You got them all. I always forget Romauldo. When we did the book these were considered the "Nine Sisters" with the Davidson Sea Mount the tenth in the chain. For you geology fans, they were formed somewhere around Palm Springs as in turn they passed over the same volcanic vent. A couple of years ago someone at the bird festival said that that wisdom had changed somewhat, but I've never heard it from any "official" source. So I'm sticking with what I think I know.

If John contacts you give me a holler, any excuse to get to Morro Bay is a good one!

BTW, sorry about abridging your name, I really do know better.

JD

Peter

Joseph, will definitely call you if John has the time and my schedule allows. I just got back from a 4 day trip to Las Vegas where the hotel I was staying in didn't provide free wifi (and I didn't want to pay for it), so I didn't read forum posts for a few days. Also, due to my absence, work backed up for me and I'm playing catch-up now. I probably won't be able to get together if it's early in the week, except maybe for coffee in the morning, but later in the week could be good.

Here is a shot from a hill just south of Morro Bay, which I had to trespass on to shoot, and got kicked off by the rancher/property owner, looking down the Chorro Valley at a couple of the 7 Sisters, Cabrillo Peak, and the tallest of the peaks, Hollister Peak.

Peter