Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keep the Fuji 4x5 back?

Re: Keep the Fuji 4x5 back?

BTW, I think they are still making the FP 100c45 in Japan. Do you think they will continue that for the Japanese photographers for a while? I meet a lot of Japanese, and could ask them occasionally to get 1/2 packets when they visit. I could do that for a long time. Thoughts?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Fujifilm has disassembled and scrapped out the production equipment for the 4x5 material. No more except what's in the warehouse. Could be quite a bit, but there's no way to tell. If there is material in Japan, go ahead and ask your friends to get it for you. I don't see any more on B&H's site, and I intend to get what I can locally and then switch.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    I just bought the brand new Fuji PA-45 for $195. then right away, they stop making the color film for it . Any reason to keep this or should I just sell it right away? Lost cause? They still do make 3200 BW, but one would have to stop down 5 stops too see how an exposure might turn out.
    That is why they make ND filters. The Heliopan Vario ND would let you shoot 3200 speed film anywhere from ISO 1600 to ISO 50 with a simple twist of the ring.

Brian, how do you know they are not producing? Anyway then barbecue of chemical expiration, then the whole kaput will be over, so why don't you just sell your unit sooner instead of buying more film?

Good point Bob, but that filter is silly expensive $389? But someone here just said even that film will be scrapped soon.

Just buy an inexpensive 5-stop ND if you want to save money, it is only an instant print. But those variable ND filters are pretty sweet, might have other uses even on the digital.

Haven't we had the end of film conversation already? No mo chromes, shoot color neg, then shoot B&W.

Frank, thanks, wow, well I'm going chrome for this first project to avoid doing proofs, and it's so beautiful seeing chromes on the light table. Will go neg soon. I have 150 and 90 lens, do you have a link to the 5 stop ND? if it's very little I may do it. But would you bother? Do you think they will stop making the 3200 soon?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Kevs, Fujifilm announced the discontinuation a while back, and I even posted a translation on the forum. There's probably a stock pile in Japan, and that's why you still see it there. But yeah, it's gone, a victim of lack of radical uptake by LF photographers.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Brian, so you say sell, that 3200 will be gone. no point in keeping the back?

Wish I had known when I was on the fence between this back and the other one. Know I can't get other one!

What you want is the smaller back called Fuji Instant Holder PA-145, which is functionally the same as the old Polaroid 405, and it takes the smaller and less expensive Fuji Instant 3.25x4.25 inch films. It uses the currently available Fujifilm FP-100C Professional Instant Color Film ISO 100 and Fujifilm FP-3000B Professional Instant Black & White Film.

Fuji fu#$ed up the naming of these films and backs so it is easy to confuse them with the larger 4x5 films and backs. You want to double check before buying. As far as I know they will make the smaller 3.25x4.25 films indefinitely as there is a huge user base for these still, not only for photography but for legacy instruments and such.

But nothing is certain. But the film is only $10 a pack - $1 per shot - and you can find a used Polaroid 405 for under $100 on eBay.

The smaller film is a compromise since it crops the image. And the back does not always fit well with every camera. But it works in most cases and is better than nothing.