Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson, opinon on 4870 & 4990

Re: Epson, opinon on 4870 & 4990

Ari, thanks, what does this mean:

"is using a height-adjustable film holder, like the Betterscanning holder. "

I a bit clueless until I finally but a unit and dive in.

Your opinon 4990 vs, 700 vs 750?

I'd buy a new scanner and not fool around with old ones that are whacked, dirty, etc. it will probably be the last one you'll ever need.

You don't say what you are planning to scan. I would agree with Frank and say get a new one. If you are looking to save some dinero don't overlook the Canon 9950F.

thanks Frank, well, I'm just so used to buying used in the whole Large Format game now! But with a scanner, you say don't bother... (large formart lenses, cameras etc, you are ok with used..) wow no one has mentioned canon to me yet, it's all be Epson 700/ 750. PS Frank your opinon between those two Epsons as well? (don't see that Canon new anymore. if people say it's as good as the Epson and is less, I'll consider.....}

I think they all are mediocre and poorly built plastic crap but they all kind of keep humming along turning out OK scans for proofing and modest portfolio prints, especially if you learn the basics of scanning upfront. I have no experience with the Canons but they seem fine. The 4990 has a larger transparency scanning area which is awfully nice if you use larger film or want to proof a lot of shots faster.

I think large format cameras are simple and unchanging enough that you can safely buy them used based on hands-on tests... either they work or they don't. Similarly, most lenses work very well if they haven't been abused, and you can always buy more than one and compare, upgrading if you discover the earlier lens isn't up to par - but all you have to do is look at your results (loupe on film, make a print). With a scanner, they can get dirty and out of alignment if abused, so if I had never done much scanning and didn't know any better, I suggest getting a new one where you have a 99% chance of getting a properly working one out of the box. I suspect a lot of the old used Epsons on eBay are not working 100%, especially after a sloppy packaging job or someone forgetting to lock the carrier mechanism.

If you can find a refurb 4990 or a good local seller selling a used model, then that's probably the best value. But digging a little deeper for an Epson 700 isn't that much compared to your overall investment and they are useful tools with long lifespans.

I say they are mediocre because compared to drum scans, there is a big difference. But compared to the flatbed scanners we had in the 90s, a modern Epson is a pretty amazing value, I paid $3600 for a 600dpi B&W scanner back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    Ari, thanks, what does this mean:

"is using a height-adjustable film holder, like the Betterscanning holder. "

I a bit clueless until I finally but a unit and dive in.

Your opinon 4990 vs, 700 vs 750?
    Different scanners focus at different heights, so having a film holder that is height-adjustable will allow you to find the optimum scanning height for your scanner.
    The stock film holders are ok, but often you'll find that with a little legwork, you can fine-tune the height and get much sharper results.

Those scanners will all give good results, the difference being the operator: you.
    Good luck.

thanks Ari,
    ok Frank, was mainly getting the scanner for proofing, and maybe making prints up to 16x20. I've heard they do really well up to that point.