Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Query -Which Berlebach?

Tripod Query -Which Berlebach?

Hi all,

I am fairly new to large format and had a query regarding which tripod to buy. I have been using a Crown Graphic on a basic vivitar for some time now and its a bit of a pain. I recently purchased a Shen Hao and have decided to get a new tripod to go with it. I really like the look of the Berlebach tripods and as I am not going to be doing a whole lot of walking, I think I can take the weight. I am also on a bit of a budget. My question is, which one should I get:

The 1002 (Cheapest of the lot) (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=det...prache=english)

The 2022 (This is almost as cheap as the 1002 but has a center column - is this useful?) (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=det...prache=english)

The 8033 (This is just about within my budget but the leg has 3 elements compared to the 2022) (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=produkte)

Also, I have been given a Manfrotto 141 head and really don't want to purchase a new one. Is this adequate for the shen hao (which I am yet to receive, so cant try it out)?

Many thanks in advance.

Rahul

Re: Tripod Query -Which Berlebach?

Rahul, I have worked with Berlebach tripods for over 20 years now - they are great! Looking at the models you picked, I noticed a wide range of maximum extensions. Some require you to work on your knees. Only 2022 is high enough to work in eye height. Forget the other two. They are smaller for transportation, but hardly usable for LF work.

The Manfrotto 141 head should work fine with either a Crown Graphic or a 4x5" Shen Hao.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Rahul, I have worked with Berlebach tripods for over 20 years now - they are great! Looking at the models you picked, I noticed a wide range of maximum extensions. Some require you to work on your knees. Only 2022 is high enough to work in eye height. Forget the other two. They are smaller for transportation, but hardly usable for LF work.

The Manfrotto 141 head should work fine with either a Crown Graphic or a 4x5" Shen Hao.

Michael
    Thanks Michael. That's really helpful. Just to clarify, are you saying that the 2022 would be a good choice for the Shen Hao or should I forget about a Berlebach in my price range? I should mention, I am fairly short, about 5 feet, 5 inches.

Thanks again,
    Rahul

I don't know your price range or every model Berlebach offers. In my experience, a Berlebach Report tripod is very well suited for a 4x5" field camera. In fact, I put my 8x10" 2D on mine. Just make sure that the height of the tripod lets you work comfortably. The 1002 has a maximum height of only 35". Try shooting portraits from down there... Or architecture...

I have three Berlebachs, most of the time I use the 8023.

Michael

Deardorff Sales and service

I have two tripods that I really like. One is a Crown #4 It is light, solid and will hold anything up to my 12x20.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...+%234&_sacat=0 I use it without a tilt top. The other is a Berlebach Private Labled called a Berlin Master. Bromwell Marketing imported them in the 90s. It is a large tripod. It is a brute and the quality is perfect.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

I totally agree. I had the shorter report 2012 and got a 3012. I am 6' and the squating on the shorter tripod make for less enjoyable shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    I don't know your price range or every model Berlebach offers. In my experience, a Berlebach Report tripod is very well suited for a 4x5" field camera. In fact, I put my 8x10" 2D on mine. Just make sure that the height of the tripod lets you work comfortably. The 1002 has a maximum height of only 35". Try shooting portraits from down there... Or architecture...

I have three Berlebachs, most of the time I use the 8023.

Michael
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

I don't know all the models and their features. I bought one used, that is labled "Original BBerelebach". The legs have three sections and it seems to stand up about right for me. I am about 5'8" and I put a little Wista 4x5 on it, sometimes my Kodak 2-D 8x10, but that seems less solid.

This model has a leveling center post. For most of my work this post has enough range of motion that I often leave off any ball head . . .which saves some weight.

I like my Berlebach, it works for me.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Hi Rahul,

Wolf tripods, allegedly equal in quality to the Berlebachs, may be a bit cheaper and are available with quick/flip (or however you may call them) locks. Check: http://www.holzstative.de/Produkte.html, website is even more stone-agey than Berlebach's (which touches me) and - alas - exclusively in German.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I bought one used, that is labled "Original BBerelebach".
    If that is the label, you bought a fake Berlebach!

For the Wolf tripods, the english website is at http://www.wooden-tripods.com/index.html .