Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Workshops

Workshops

A good idea for the site would be a "what's happening" area for workshops, lectures, new books, articles, etc. I'm sure it would be viewed a lot, at least by those of us who want to know what is going on in the field.

This seems like a very good idea to me. Might work best as a second forum sort of running parallel to this one. Not so much for discussions, but for making announcements in general, with no particular restriction on the commercial nature of things, so long as they were of interest to the LF community. I do think it would be better to have it this way than just as a static page, though, as it would be useful to be able to leave comments.

Workshops

As a long time participant in this forum in it's many guises, I would favor leaving the forum the way it is now and let's see if there needs to be another parallel forum page with anouncments due to increased traffic taking up bandwidth. I agree wholeheartedly with Michael regarding the contributions that Michael and Paula, Steve Simmons, and others have given to the large format community here and elsewhere. I feel that as long as it doesn't get out of hand, and with the acquiesence of Tuan, posts such as this might be viewed as more public service than blatant advertisment. An "occassional" mention of a workshop, gallery show, or conference, as long as it deals with the large format issues would be welcome. Again as long as this forum didn't become overloaded with them. And it was oriented toward large format photography and printing. And I would be pleased to have a donation made to this site to help defray the costs of running it by those who want to advertise their products. I would like to know how I can contribute to Tuan in this regard too. Let's see where this goes and make decisions about the impact as this unfolds. I would hope that artists like Michael, Steve, and others would refrain from overloading us with endless anouncements though.

Workshops

Tom, although the home page link is on each forum page, and one can go to the 'Workshops' page from the home page, subsequently clicking on the 'More workshop comments and announcements' link takes one to a greenspun.com page. Any chance of hosting the 'More workshop comments and announcements' page on this site?

Workshops

What about gallery openings and exhibits? I've never been to one that charges admission---except maybe in a museum---and I find them a wonderful source for inspiration and education. What objection is there to posting a notice regarding one on this forum? Is that "advertising?"

What about book reviews? Is posting a book review "advertisement?"

What about simply admiring someone's photography website where photos are for sale---is that advertising?

What about posting positive comments about a newly introduced piece of equipment like a back pack or loupe or brand of film---is that advertising?

Just curious!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Workshops

Michael, after the B&W article I have to admit I'm a full fledged fan. Have to also confess I like Paula's "eye" a tiny bit better than yours. Good luck to you and if you're ever shooting in Central Nevada I hope you'll look me up and say hello. Anybody who runs around in a '66 International getting 8 miles to the gallon can't be all bad.

Workshops

Thanks, Jim. Send me your contact information and we'll look you up when next we get your way. And it's a '61 International, (not a '66), when they were still made of real steel.

Workshops

Michael is a frequent and valuable contributer to this forum. This was an announcement, not an advertisement, and I consider it a positive contribution to the group. I attended their workshop three years ago, and if I had the extra money I'd go again this year. That's not quite true -- if I had the dough I'd purchase one of Paula's Tuscany prints.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Workshops

Micahel A et al - I may be mis-remebering, but I recall that when this list re-started there was quite a bit of discission about these kinds of announcements. I seem to remeber it actually being posed as a thread/question by Tuan? The general feeling was that they were okay and the list owner and moderators had no problem with them as long as they were kept within certain broad guidelines (indeed, there are annoucments and workshops categories).
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Workshops

Can we all advertise (whatever that is) here or only the "Special People" can? What a joke!

Workshops

I will admit that I took sides on this at first. However, I think it's obvious that both sides of this discussion have valid points.

This board has been blessed by remaining quite civil, especially compared to many other photo boards out there. Maybe it's time that we all just wait to see what happens wiht this thread, and what the moderators and Tuan have to say about it.

At the risk of offending anyone, I must also state that as this is (as far as I know) a private venture, a certain level of editorial control is allowed. In the end, it is up to the discretion of the site's owner and moderators to decide what stays and what goes.