Thread: Brazil / São Paulo

Brazil / São Paulo

São Paulo is going to be my home for the next couple of years. I'd really appreciate information on where to find 4x5 film, and chemicals such as developer & fixer. Would it be advisable for me to bring a good stock of film & chemicals with me?

Also, are there good rental darkrooms and studios? Or wonderful camera shops with inventory of LF cameras and lenses?

Thanks!

Re: Brazil / São Paulo

B&H has a Brazil website so I'd assume they ship to Brazil.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...natnl-_-Brazil

Hi, Tristan.

I'm brazilian, not actually living in São Paulo, but I can tell you that our photo market has shrinked a bit on the last years and LF items are getting harder to find each day. You may still find b&w film and some few options on color emulsions, but only on 4x5' format. Basic chemistry can be found, but I can't tell you about good rental darkrooms. My guess is that only on photo schools you may find some help, but I doubt if there will be any 4x5' enlarger available.
    I've been ordering films and some chemistry from Mpex or Freestyle, but taxes are heavy and adds above yours items + shipping. Not funny, at all.

Anyway, I've friends in São Paulo and if you need some help once you arrive just send me a message and I'll introduce them.

Good luck!

funkadelic

Cesar,
    if you are doing E-6 or C-41, I understand. If you are working in black and white, consider mixing your own from scratch. You can probably get the raw chemicals locally without the large shipping and duty fees. There are several developer formulae available online with only time required for searching and reading.
    Film and paper options are more limited if using silver gelatin. Consider xray film for b/w work to reduce expense.
    Chris

Thanks, Chris, for the advices, but I've being working almost daily on a big project and just have no time or willing to deal with variables on mixing raw chemistry. I adopted HC-110 for try development decades ago and TMax developer for roll films and I'm happy about it. Those things are pretty cheap and I really don't care about paying some taxes, but I'm afraid Tristan won't be so confortable about that.

Some good leads - thanks. I didn't know that B&H had a Brazilian website, but I guess that the goods are shipped from the US, which could take some time, and that the prices are before import duty? I was just talking to one of my colleagues already in Brazil, and he said that it had taken 8 months for his household goods to clear customs, so I'll have to think carefully about what I carry, and what goes in the shipment. I'll certainly plan on bringing a reasonable stock of film and chemicals with me, if I can.

Any leads on the shops or outlets in São Paulo that carry b&w film and basic chemicals would be much appreciated.

Hi, Tristan.
    I'm afraid this B&H brazilian site might not be the best option for you, since during some time it hide some kind of gray market.

Here in Brazil we have a reseller of Ilford products, but not the whole catalog is available and sometimes one has to wait for a while for paper or films to arrive. Besides that you may find some Fuji color films and very little stuff from Kodak. Most of the stores are concentraded on 2 blocks at the corner of Rua 7 de Abril and Rua Conselheiro Crispiano, and maybe you can find something else at internet stores from other states.
    The best store (not exactly the cheapest one) may be found at this link: http://www.consigo.com.br/home.php
    Besides that there's a lot of small places where one can find used photo stuff and that's possibly the only chance to find any LF camera or lenses. Now and then I take a walk through these galleries and some surprises may arrise, but it's been harder and harder to be lucky these days.

Forgive me if I ask you when are you supposed to arrive?

That's great Cesar, thanks. I'll be in SP from early July onwards.

Jedi Knight

Tristan,

as Cesar said its a sad time for film shooters in Brazil, specially large format. You can still find basic BW chemistry(d76...) and some large format film in Speed Lab(Rio de Janeiro) but their service is terrible.

Hi, Tristan

Send me a PM when you arrive, and I can get any information you want, including best buying options.

You'll soon realize that importing from Europe is better than USA.

I wish you a good stay here in São Paulo.