Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking perfect field 4x5 camera.

Re: Seeking perfect field 4x5 camera.

Apparently finding the right word is as hard as finding the right camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Apparently finding the right word is as hard as finding the right camera.

No. Finding the perfect word is as hard as finding the perfect camera.

Rick "exceeding his obnoxiousness quotient for the day" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    John, I think you mean the 4x5 Special, which would be my choice for a 4x5 wood field camera.
    The Special would have longer bellows to work with (I'm guessing) but at the cost of wieght and bulk. The Baby is a true 4x5, not a 5x7 with a 4x5 back. maybe the new Deardorff factory could build one for the OP? They are kind of rare.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I've done so. Many times. Using colorful descriptions that have garnered pained expressions from passersby. Apple's spelling replacement algorithm for the iPhone is particularly appalling--almost as bad as my accuracy on that tiny touch keyboard with my big, fat thumbs.

Rick "didn't do any good" Denney
    It's nice to know I am not alone in believing spellcheck and allied programs to be the work of the antichrist, assisted by all available demons.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

So all these suggestions for Ebony/Linhof and you've got $4k to spend. Any reason you need to spend that much, other than to possibly feel better about your purchase?

Here's an option: A Chamonix 4x5. I have the 1st version and it takes my 47mm XL all the way to a Nikkor 500mm tele. If I bought the extension it would easily take my 720mm tele. It's extremely light-weight but still rigid, at least for a field camera. Only about 1/4th your budget or less used so you have more money for the important things like lenses, film, and gas/plane tickets!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

My super Tech , grip, viewfinder, 90, 150 and 240 hoods , filters etc. cost around USD 2500 right here.
    Why spend more?
    It is quality full stop
    ( you can wreak havoc but not quality)
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    So all these suggestions for Ebony/Linhof and you've got $4k to spend. Any reason you need to spend that much, other than to possibly feel better about your purchase?

Here's an option: A Chamonix 4x5. I have the 1st version and it takes my 47mm XL all the way to a Nikkor 500mm tele. If I bought the extension it would easily take my 720mm tele. It's extremely light-weight but still rigid, at least for a field camera. Only about 1/4th your budget or less used so you have more money for the important things like lenses, film, and gas/plane tickets!
    I have to agree with the Chamonix - it's the lightest camera that takes those lenses and with the extension with go to 720mm (if you can find one). It also has enough movements to do what you need it to and you can spend the extra money you have left over on a Maxwell fresnel which will then reek of quality every time you look through it.

The alternative would be an Ebony 45SU for that real 'reeking of expense' smell. It's twice the weight of the Chamonix though but so, so beautiful to use.

I have both of these cameras and if only I could afford an Arca Swiss F-Line I'd have the perfect set of cameras (there is no perfect single camera). Chamonix for lightweight, Ebony for fast focus and wonderful control, Arca for precision and 8x10 convertability.

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The Special would have longer bellows to work with (I'm guessing) but at the cost of wieght and bulk. The Baby is a true 4x5, not a 5x7 with a 4x5 back. maybe the new Deardorff factory could build one for the OP? They are kind of rare.
    The Baby had a pretty small lensboard. The special has 19" bellows. To use a 24" long focus lens, you'll need 30" of bellows as a minimum, which means a V8 with a 4x5 back.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

What do you mean by "600mm", the optical focal length or the flange focal length (FFL)?
    The FFL is the only dimension that matters, and it can be much shorter than the optical focal length.

For example, two 600mm lenses and their FFLs are:
    Fujinon T 600/9, FFL = 409.6mm
    Nikkor T 600/12, FFL = 383.9mm

The FFL is the distance from the film to the lensboard when the camera is focused at infinity.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I've been through most of the folding field cameras, and still have and use the Chamonix, DEARDORFF 4X5 SPECIAL, AND ANSCO 5X7. But frankly a Sinar packs just as easily and will do everything the poster wants. Except they too cost only a fraction of the budget... perhaps $450 for a nice Norma or F1. There is nothing that I know of that can be done with aNY view camera that can not be done with a Sinar.