Thread: Shade & filter holder for 72mm SA-XL w/CF

Shade & filter holder for 72mm SA-XL w/CF

Does anyone have any ideas about how to add a filter holder for 4x4 square filters & some sort of shade for a Schneider 72mm SA-XL with the center filter installed (112 x 1.5 front thread)? I'm using the lens on an Arca Swiss F-line Field camera. For shading I'm willing to settle for keeping direct light off the lens, assuming the sun is out of the scene, so I wonder if something that clamps on the front standard would work well enough. That would leave me to find a filter holder, or just hand-hold the filter. I've been trying to hold a filter and shade the lens, but that's really not workable.

Thanks

I put filters in a Lee filter holder behind the lens; the model is called 'gel-snap' I think. Re: shading the lens: yes, you have limited space. Anything that keeps the direct light of the lens works. Just be sure to check it doesn't show up in the picture. I must admit I don't bother that often.

Eric Woodbury

I have this same lens, although no CF. Great lens, especially on a 5x7. Putting anything behind is a pain, so I made a holder for the front that holds a 100 mm gel filter in a Calumet cardboard frame. The holder is a piece of foamcore board. It is about 5 inches square and I cut a hole in the middle such that the foamcore slides over the outer diameter of the lens--nice and snug. Then I use homemade picture corners to hold the filter. Works great and doesn't get in the way, although I try to use filters as little as possible.

I don't think there is a good lens hood for these. The idea of some kind of third hand clamped to the front of the camera to shade the lens is excellent. I've been meaning to do this and I don't know why view camera people don't make such a product. In the movie biz it is called a 'French flag' and is not very expensive, but it is rather large for a view camera.

Let us know what you end up with.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I have the 72 MM xl lens also, and I found that the Lee company of England makers a 4 inch gel holder specifically for this diameter lens ( and for the 90xl also-same front diameter). The gel holder fits perfectly and has an internal clamp, and one outer screw for tightening. Its the best solution that I have found for using filters with this lens.

Tom,

My solution was to use the Sinar 125mm filter system for this situation. Now discontinued I dare say bits are still available new or second-hand so a search may be in order.

I avoid using filters in a rig like this wherever possible but there are times with industrial interiors where LB filters are needed and the odd instance of an ND Grad. It is for those special times that the filter holder system is essential.

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually don't use filters with this one either, but I had a situation the other day where the sunlight was hitting the lens from the side thus the need for a shade. I also wanted a #8 filter to darken some blue conduits a little to avoid merging with the background and to bring a bit more contrast to the sky. I was also using a considerable amount of rise, so needed/wanted the CF on. I tried holding a grey card for shade in one hand, the gel in the other and then it occurred to me I had no hands left to trip the shutter! Maybe I could use my teeth.

I like the foam board idea--appeals to my cheapskate side. I'm OK without the center filter, since I do have that Lee 100mm slip-on holder, but it doesn't work with the CF installed.

You may end up with one of the clamp systems (like Porter's carries) which will position a card or darkslide in the right place to keep light off of the lens and filter. Probelm is, with lots of interior lighting there aren't enough clamps, hands and shades made which will do the job of a well designed hood and filter system. Sort of reminds me of the cartoon "The cowboy after OSHA." A horse with training wheels, roll bars, seat belts and the cowboy wearing a helmet and hearing protection.

A friend has made a simple hood system which uses the black faced aluminum foil as its hood. (I think he uses the 4x4 Lee filters?) In any event, it is made out of black ABS plastic sheet, brass screws and the odds and ends he had laying around. He bends the foil to conform to the needs of various lenses and lighting situations. It ends up looking like a black blossom on the front of the camera which is flexible. Sort of looks like poop on a popsicle, but it functions well with his wide Schneiders.

Lee does make a holder for 115mm outer diameter - I have one for my 150XL center filter (same CF as 72XL?). The 4x4" filter will not quite cover the area of the CF, but as long as I shoot in vertical orientation (this is 8x10) the filter will cover the image format.

Another alternative that I have tried is the Cokin X-Pro system 130x170 mm. It does cover a 112mm thread with margin to spare, but filters are a bit heavy, and the selection for grads is a bit limited.

Jean-Louis Llech

The best way is to place a filter holder behind the lens.

Calumet makes a behind-the-lens gel holder called a Xenophon. Works fine with gels. And doesn't your camera have available a compendium hood? It would seem that would do the job best.