Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unknown lens - Voightlander & Sohns - big, brassy...

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Unknown lens - Voightlander & Sohns - big, brassy...

I've got this big, fast brass lens and trying to figure out what it is. Here are some pics that might give you a hint. I think it's a 12-14 inch lens and it may cover 8x10. Definitely will cover 5x7.

Voightlander & Sohns

10 inches tall, including the lens hood. I believe it might be a 5a?

Re: Unknown lens - Voightlander & Sohns - big, brassy...

Well you just need to measure out the focal length and then you can get the speed. It looks like a petzval made in 1877-78. You should see if the rear glass is cemented together or not. This would show what the speed was from Voigtlander. 1878 marked the first cemented rear that was produced.
    I am not aware of Voigtlander using a 5A. I know they did a 5B which would only cover a 5x7 or so from the sales ads of that time.

But there are folks that a far wiser on these things then I am.

Rear elements are not cemented. I'm heading out to shoot then teach until 9 tonight, so I'll do a little focal length measuring tomorrow morning. Thanks Old Crow!

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow View Post
    ...I am not aware of Voigtlander using a 5A. I know they did a 5B which would only cover a 5x7 or so from the sales ads of that time...
    Yep, they made a 5A, I've got one in my safe, marked on the brass! Voigtlander was very confusing with their offerings and catalogs. One year something was an "A", a few years later, something else. The sizes change too, so a 5 one year is a different lenght other years. They made a lot of changes over the years.

To Mike, you have the best opportunity to know what it is by examining the lens you are holding in your hands. The speed, focal length, and date based on the serial number have all been determined. If it has a number up near the hood, that's what Voigtlander called it that year. But if not, that would be common too. What you already know is better than any study of the catalogs is going to give you.

The diameter of the front glass is the quickest way for checking the format with these Petzvals.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The diameter of the front glass is the quickest way for checking the format with these Petzvals.
    Do you mean "format" like "coverage?" OK, here's a test for you: I have a Petzval with a 3.27 inch diameter front glass. What does it cover?!

"These Petzvals" means Voigtländer's old and new style Petzvals (pre and post about 1877). Voigtländer gave the lens dimension in a whole series of catalogues. So knowing the lens diameter is a good way of comparing these unlisted numbers with the known size numbers in available catalogues. Voigtländer always uses the expression "Bildformat" meaning the plate size for which Voigtländer and their customers thought acceptible.

Your question is totally meaningless if you are talking about Petzvals in general. Which, of course, you were quite well aware.
    But back to the original posting! "5 and 5B" have a 3" front lens, around 9 1/4" EFL and has a "bildformat" of 5x7.

ah...nevermind.

So...where would one get a flange for this lens of mine? I'd like to try to shoot it on the Canham 8x10.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    So...where would one get a flange for this lens of mine? I'd like to try to shoot it on the Canham 8x10.
    SK Grimes.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!