Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suburban shoulder bag blues

Suburban shoulder bag blues

What in your opinion is a good bag for a 4x5 field camera if you want to take pictures in the city and go on foot and need a bag that is fast to open and close and light to carry?

In my case it needs to accomodate a Ebony 45s and 2-3 lenses, a 6x12 back and 5 film holders + some small stuff (loupe, Gossen digisix etc). I have a great backpack (Kata bumblebee) but it is a little too large and not so nice to operate in the city. And my old square hard aluminium case is a little too heavy and not so nice to carry.

Re: Suburban shoulder bag blues

I have a Wista 45DX with lens folded in the camera wrapped in the darkcloth, 6x7 roll film back, 5 film holders, Sekonic 758DR spot meter, loupe, level, tape measure and water bottle and I use a Lowepro Fastpack 200 backpack. At a push it could fit another lens or two. I have a Manfrotto tripod with a Gitzo head on a shoulder strap and I ride my bike with this lot on around town no probs.
    regards, Tony

Messenger bag. I'm partial to: Courierware (http://courierwareusa.com). They make a camera insert for their smaller models (which are still pretty large), and would probably sew in straps for a tripod if you asked. I use a large super-deluxe (the inside pockets are perfect for 4x5 film either in boxes or in holders) and angle the tripod in. I can actually fit the entire tripod in for the train rides, but I have to remove the head if I want that.

I have a billiingham hadley carrying a pacemaker sg , 90mm Angulon, 127mm xenar ,aero Ektar, six DDS or a couple of grafmatics in outside pockets, small sekonic meter and loupe.
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

I use a white Zone VI camera case. It holds my ZVI camera, 3 lens 90SA, 120SA and 210 Sironar, the darkcloth, a few holders, lens shade and the spot meter.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

I once used a small Igloo brand picnic cooler, one with a swiveling top, as a 4x5 case. Light, easy to handle, waterproof, carrying handle built in, room for lots of stuff. It was great for short walks on the beach.

Peter Gomena

For field work, I use a fanny pack and carry extras in a fly-fishing vest. Works really well, but might look a bit weird in the city.

My city gear, which I both walk around with and carry fairly long distances on my bicycle, is simply one of those cheapie combination backpack/rolling carry-on bag. It's basically a carry-on size backpack with wheels and an extendable handle. I can carry it on my back or roll it around. On the bike, it goes on my back and the tripod is strapped to the rear rack. In the city, I carry it over rough terrain, but roll it around when the sidewalks, etc. are smooth enough and traffic allows. It's not much larger than a child's school backpack.

I carry a wooden folder, 5 lenses (90mm SA f/8, 135mm WF Ektar, 180mm Fuji A, 240mm Fuji A and a Fuji 210L tossed in just for kicks, since I seem to end up needing that focal length a lot for "across-the-street" shots), 6 film holders, Pentax digital spotmeter, 2 sets of 6 filters in 52mm and 67mm, exposure record, loupe, reading glasses, cleaning brush, city map, and a few other odds and ends. It's not even very heavy.

When I set up, I set the pack between the tripod legs for easy access. Works well for me.

Best,

Doremus

I work almost exclusively in urban environments, and the Lowepro flipside backpacks are the best solution I've found.

I have two. The largest one is the Flipside 400 and it can hold a Technika with ten film holders and four or five extra lenses. I use that one most of the time.

The next size down, the 300, can hold my camera and a few lenses and holders. Both packs are compact and don't look all that much like camera bags. The opening is on the side that faces your back, which is great for security and because if you put it down to take your stuff out, the part that gets dirty isn't going to be against your back.

If you want a shoulder bag, the Domke f804 should hold your kit. I've used it for a technikardan, three or four lenses and ten holders. But it tends to get a bit bloated and has a rather large profile. It might be a bit faster to work from than a backpack. But this is 4x5 we're talking about. So the extra few seconds probably won't make a big difference.

I use a widemouth tool bag (check your local big box home improvement) to carry a speed graphic, 4-6 film holders, two lenses, meter, filters. It doesn't look like a camera bag at all.

Smile Re: Suburban shoulder bag blues

Thank you all so far! A backpack is sort of out of the question, even the Flipside which looked interesting at first. If you are wearing an overcoat, I guess it really isn't so easy to flip that backpack from you back to your belly without messing up your heavy clothing. A shoulder bag it must be. The Domke F4 looked OK but it is on the small side. Billinghams look too flashy for my liking. It is bad enough to carry a tripod, an expensive looking bag is even worse. When I was young and strolled around with my Mamiya C220, I carried it in a bag meant really for fishing gear, canvas with rubber inside, sort of army look to it. Water tight and cheap looking. Well, that was during the Berlin wall days .

Anyway, the empty weight is one of the most important specifications of a camera bag and it annoys me very much that some manufacturers don't bother to mention it on their website. I once bought a Lowepro backpack, which to my disappointment had a weight over 4 kilograms empty ( some 10 lbs). 10lbs EMPTY weight is ridiculous imho.

Keep your suggestions coming