Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capacity of Citric Acid Stop?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Capacity of Citric Acid Stop?

Anyone have an idea of the number of 8x10 prints per liter a 1.5% citric acid stop bath will process? Dektol is the developer.

Thomas

Re: Capacity of Citric Acid Stop?

It is so cheap to mix, why take a chance. Just mix fresh for each 4 hour session.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    It is so cheap to mix, why take a chance. Just mix fresh for each 4 hour session.
    Thanks Jim.

Except for Perma Wash, Photo-Flo, and C-41 Stablizer which I use to near capacity I toss all other chemistry after each session. The capacity of the Dektol is 32 8x10 prints per liter of working strength developer and I'm wondering if the capacity of the citric acid stop would be similar if not the same. It's much easier to count print to know when you are nearing solution capacity.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Thanks Jim.

Except for Perma Wash, Photo-Flo, and C-41 Stablizer which I use to near capacity I toss all other chemistry after each session. The capacity of the Dektol is 32 8x10 prints per liter of working strength developer and I'm wondering if the capacity of the citric acid stop would be similar if not the same. It's much easier to count print to know when you are nearing solution capacity.

Thomas
    I don't know the capacity and I'm not sure that many people really bother with that when it comes to using stop solution.
    I suppose one can test the stop solution using a ph strip to make sure it is still mildly acidic.

"Except for Perma Wash..."

If you use a non-alkaline fixer, you can easily make your own washing aid: just use a teaspoon of Sodium Sulfite per liter of water, and toss it when you are done.

If you use an alkaline fixer, you don't need a washing aid.

According to Anchell and Troop, in The Film Developing Cookbook, Alkaline Fixers have the following advantages over more traditional Acidic formulas:

Less danger of over-fixing
    Shorter washing times
    More archival
    Greater capacity
    More stable
    Can be formulated to have low odor.

Thanks for the tip Ken. Perma Wash is pretty expensive stuff and I haven't thought of mixing it myself until now. A quick inventory shows that I have sodium sulfite in stock as well as sodium bisulfite which, according to the 12th edition of Harleys Condensed Chemical Dictionary (1987), "its properties and uses are practically identical" with sodium metabisulfite. But the latter is inexpensive so I'll add it to my shopping list.

I do use TF-5 but also use HCA (which I mix) and Perma Wash for "insurance."

Thomas

I suspect it depends on how long you drain your developer off.

Squeeky test - grip the edge of a test strip and rub between your finger and thumb, if it does not "squeek" discard your stop bath

As for the stop bath, the "squeaky test" described above is a pretty good indicator of exhaustion; if the stop doesn't remove the slipperiness of the developer, then it's exhausted.

Also, my citric acid stop form Amalco has an indicator in it, like the good old Kodak Indicator Stop. So does the citric acid stop from Fotospeed. You could also just add the bromocresol to the stop yourself and make your own indicator stop.

Don't keep citric acid stop baths in working solution for a long time anyway. Because the acid is organic, it tends to grow mold and bacterial crud after a while. I use mine one-shot/one session. I usually mix at about half strength for film developing.

As for washing aids: you certainly don't need both HCA and Perma Wash. There is some doubt about whether Perma Wash really works anyway. Some swear by it, but a quick look at the contents and the dilution leads me to be skeptical...

At any rate, using HCA alone is more than enough. As mentioned above, you can mix your own easily. My recipe is one Tablespoon of sodium sulfite per liter plus a pinch of sodium metabisulfite.

If you want extra archival protection for your prints, then treat in a stabilizer like Sistan (there are a lot of knock-off products on the market now too) before drying.

Best,

Doremus

You can brew your own sotp bath:Add 400gr Citric Acid, Bromecresolgreen (indicator yellow to purple at around pH 6-7), and Methyl Parabene to prevent growth of slimy things in a final volume water. Dilute 1+19 and discard when blue/purple. Exact concentrations, except Citric acid are in my notes, not here right now.

Best,

Cor