Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my Linhof Master worth fixing?

Is my Linhof Master worth fixing?

Last month I posted a note about fixing my Linhof. The strong consensus was to send it to Marflex, which I did.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=79714

The news is not good!

Here is what Martin says it needs (so far!):

1) New bellows

2) Replace lift lever. As you can see from the earlier thread, the lift lever would bang against the front standard frame at times. I can get around this by only moving the lever in smaller arcs, to avoid the frame. Martin says that part of the problem here is that some of the teeth in the middle of one side of the mechanism are sheered off. Another big factor is that a prior owner repaired the lift lever. Instead of using a screw to attach it they used some sort of rivet.

3) Spring for the came shoe/Cam shoe lever loose. Martin says I need this even if I don't shoot handheld and don't use the rangefinder. It still needs to move as the camera opens and is used.

4) Felt needs replaced.

And with that he stopped since the repair bill had reached just over $1000. He thinks the total will be about $1200-$1300 (somewhat of an guess since the camera has not been disassembled yet. Might be a few surprises waiting.

I bought the camera here, in late June, a few days before I left on a long trip. Had the camera sent to a friend's house. So by the time I opened the box it had already been almost two months since delivery. Not my normal way of doing business!

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...d.php?t=77827&

So...what do you experts think? I paid about $2000 for the cam + viewfinder + lens. The grip it came with it beat up, not worth much. The lens seems excellent, so does the viewfinder. Seems like I have about $1200-$1300 in the camera net already--is that right? So the repair would double that.

Thoughts on whether it is worth it? What would such a camera sell for post-repair (it won't be for sale, just checking)?

Sigh. So much for expensive impulse buys!

--Darin

Re: Is my Linhof Master worth fixing?

It seems like you'll have roughly $2500 in the camera after repair. Isn't that also roughly the value of a perfectly restored/overhauled master.

I get that the plan was not to spend that amount of money, but at this point do you have a choice?

I've been in your shoes before, doesnt feel very good..

sorry,

bob

Is the seller willing to pony up some compensation? I read the original ad and it seems like it was either misrepresented or the original seller had no clue what he was doing.

That being said after the dusts settles you will have a great camera for about what you would have spent for a similar condition (post fixing) Master. Sucks that you now have to deal with the hassles. Puts a damper on the enjoyment for sure.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

It does seem the seller should take some responsibility, he did claim it was in excellent codition, apart from the rangefinder alignment. Make sure you keep a copy of his sales advert thread as they get deleted automatically from the Classifieds section.

You do need to contact the seller.

Ian

Darin,

A new Master technika Classic has a suggested list price many times what you paid. Dealer cost is several times what you would have invested in it if you do the repairs and there are no major additional surprises.

What condition is the camera in otherwise? If it is a real beater then heavy investment isn't worth it. But if you come out with a "good as new" camera after the repair then you can always get your money back, and probably more, if you maintain it in that condition.

The list price or retail selling price for a new MT would not include a lens, board, grip or Fresnel. Just the camera body with the Folding Focusing Hood and the standard GG.

I agree that the camera is worth fixing, providing there are no major surprises. I would suggest that before committing to fix it, you ask Martin to open it up and complete his estimate. That might cause you to have to pay some up front money, which would of course be part of the task if you decide to go ahead and fix it up. I have had Martin work on an older Technika in the past, and the work was supurb. Definitely contact the seller. He may have had no idea of the real condition of the camera.

Len Eselson

I contacted the seller for his thoughts.

I also checked e-bay and there are few easy-to-compare prior sales there right now. I do see one in Australia which went for about $1500 USD, but I also know things go for if not so far away.

Martin will be out of the country until the end of the month so I have time to ponder

Thanks for your comments. Any additional thoughts are welcome!

--Darin

We've all been upside down on some piece of hardware due to repair costs (usually a car, but I digress). If you get the Linhof repaired it will likely last you for the rest of your life, or with the Marflex service records you can ask more for it should you sell it. And what are your alternatives should the seller not want to take it back? Let it sit, taking a big loss, throw it in the trash, ditto; sell it in its current state and take a smaller loss? Fixing it seems like the best idea to me.

Sorry that really is sad, it's really a shame having the delay or you could have had a better case for a refund or negotiation. I hope the seller steps up and does right by you.

Unfortunately for you the resale has been dropping, for no good reason, but I've noticed a lot of Masters have lingered at fair prices... it's really a shame because you pay the extra for a Master figuring it is the later model and won't have the problems that a 50-year old camera might have... only to find out that a 25 or 30-year old Master has had plenty of time to be abused. But bottom line is that it would be lucky to get $2500 for a CLA'd Master in today's market, although to me it is a better deal than the $1900 ones that might be as funky as your currently is. This is the screwy logic of people who pay $5000 for a wooden camera that isn't nearly as practical as a good Technika.

You could always sell the viewfinder, grip, and even the lens to help pay for the repair. I found that the wire frame was nicer for the way I wanted to work, and a simple hand strap was fine. Not having to pack the grip and viewfinder slims the bulk down quite a bit and they really aren't essential. And there are always more inexpensive yet good lenses to use.

You might luck out and find a used front standard on eBay or from asking around. Just substitute a good solid knob-rise Tech IV front for the levered one. Unless you use a lot of wide-angles, I think the knob is better and stronger than the lever.

If you plan not to use the rangefinder you could see what it costs to remove it, as once you do that you don't need that cam spring (drill it out). I did this to a beater and it wasn't pretty, neither was the $89 DIY-install Chinese bellows.... but it would get the camera usable. Although you'd ruin it's resale value, it would then be a $700 beater. But if Martin removed the RF and patched the hole professionally you'd have a nice field camera that people might even pay more for, such is their logic ;-p

I would suck it up and fix it. The parts value probably isn't enough to recoup your cost. And then use the Hell out of it and have a good story to go with it years from now.

Between here and there

Repair the one you have. A good camera that you know you can trust is worth every penny of the repair bill. Don't think about resale value - think about the use value instead.