Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speed Graphic flash sync?

Re: Speed Graphic flash sync?

OH..I went round and round with this years ago

seems that there is no setting where the curtains are completely open except for the 'open' setting for back focusing - and then it stays oepn uptil clicking it again with all the vibration that causes

I was trying to use brass lenses on a speed with studio flash.. I ended up getting one of them LUC shutters and firing the flash manually via the flashmeter..which worked okay since I can keep the studio dark

but I did find out that there is ONE..at least camera Graflex made where the FPS is open full frame for a moment during exposure and that is the 5x7 Home Portrait Graphic

I never got one (and years later got a Boorsum 5x7 reflex that is the same way.. but that's another story)

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Very few people mention gear the SG was made for, i.e. flash bulbs, these days. No reason not to use them though, just a bit more expensive and clunky in use. There e.g. still is an amazing, Irish (!), flash bulb manufacturer called Meggaflash. Try them, esp. for "special" projects. Nothing they can't make, esp to illuminate large stuff (Grand Canyon at night anyone?) and they have web presence!!!
    Support them, folks; just sayin'.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

What Carsten said! Here is Meggaflash's page: http://www.meggaflash.com/

I would welcome a revival of a flashbulb discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    What Carsten said! Here is Meggaflash's page: http://www.meggaflash.com/

I would welcome a revival of a flashbulb discussion.
    OK, I'll start! We can move it to a new thread if you like. One thing I'd write about if anyone cares is the arcania of how a flash unit and shutter-solenoid system actually work. Most people handing one have no clue. Should I put it here, or start a new topic?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphic View Post
    OK, I'll start! We can move it to a new thread if you like. One thing I'd write about if anyone cares is the arcania of how a flash unit and shutter-solenoid system actually work. Most people handing one have no clue. Should I put it here, or start a new topic?

Dave

Great idea. Especially because I don't have to write it. The problem of the OP is a shortage of FP flash bulbs. FP flash bulbs hold their output for a much longer time than front shutter bulbs do. They work on the principle of "Paint the light" from the opposite side of the story. The slits in the roller blind force the light to "Paint" as the slit moves across the face of the film, or plate. So if that company in Ireland can actually make FP bulbs, you are in business. You don't need a synchronized FP shutter. I use an external mechanical synchroniser made by Kalart. It is adjustable for delay. It also is a cable release. So getting FP bulbs is the only real problem.
    Last edited by premortho; 13-Jan-2017 at 09:37. Reason: Forgot to write anything!!

Dave, the topic title seem clear enough to carry on in this thread.

And speaking of the solenoids, I have a hunch I can make a wireless remote using stock Graflex flash parts. I'll have to think it through some more, but the idea is to use the battery holder with a slave in which the slave will trip the solenoid - using an infrared filter over a little flash as the trigger.