Thread: A Hello from the Gateway to the West

A Hello from the Gateway to the West

Hello everyone! My name is Dave Barry from St. Louis, Missouri and am currently a student at St. Louis Community College. I took my first photography class just last semester and fell right in love with it. To start the festivities off this semester I purchased a used Calumet 4x5 from my teacher which has a Schneider-Kreuznach 150mm f/5.6 - 265mm f/12 convertible lens. I just purchased a load of extra film holders from another one of the members here, Alan Gales who is also the person who suggested I come and visit the forums to begin with.

I shoot digital for the most part but still quite a good bit of 35mm on my Pentax K1000 but I am a person that can never sit still and always need to try different things out, hence the move to large format. I know it is probably quite rare for someone in my age group (I'm 25) to voluntarily go with film as a passion of theirs and going large format is probably an even rarer trait for my generation but it is honestly something I feel that I will be doing for quite a long while at this rate.

I apologize for having no LF work to share but as soon as I have my first prints out I will be sure to show them here for opinions but in the meantime I suppose I might add in just one of my 35mm exposures that I made last year. For some strange reason the film came out very grainy and the exposure was probably not the best but as things were the picture as a whole was something I fell in love with, maybe someone here can as well. Here it is.

Re: A Hello from the Gateway to the West

Dave,
    Hello from central Illinois.

I'm guessing that you're going to school at the Meramec campus. Great facilities there, you'll be spoiled when you transfer to a 4 year school.

Welcome to the club, Dave. It was really nice chatting with you today. Share your work if or when you want to. There is no pressure here.

Be sure to check out the LF Home Page for a wealth of information.

Alan

Went on a trip out through Alton, Illinois and a bit north of there back around through Louisiana, Missouri. Ran out of light at the end but got some great shots and doing it all again tomorrow starting bright and early. Going the other way around this time so we at least end up in Alton around dinner time. If anyone is interested I should end up at Fast Eddies sometime around 5 for dinner but no guarantee on that as we could end up shooting more than we planned which is never a bad thing. Either way the plan is to get the Alton bridge for a sunset scene and anything else we can in the area for twilight images.

Dave