Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travel Tripod Recommendation?

retrogrouchy

Re: Travel Tripod Recommendation?

Another vote for a Feisol (my 3442 Rapid did a lap of the world with me last year). The legs fold upwards and enclose the ballhead, which makes the whole thing pack up into a very short package without needing to remove anything.

Not happening for $250 with head though unless you can find a secondhand one.

Every flight I end up in seems to have the 23kg limit. Which airlines give you a higher allowance? I'd like to give them my business.

The pelican 1650 is also oversize unfortunately. It's close though, so maybe you'll slip through without fees.

For Carry-on Think Tank makes several cases. I don't know about your budget..

I travel with an old Gitzo Compac Studex Rapid and a Ball Head. It's sturdy but heavy (10 Lbs).
    When flying I packed the tripod and light stands in a separate case for cargo. These days I would try to rent gaffer gear (except the tripod) on arrival.

I don't fly much these days. If weight is an issue the Feisol gear is attractive. I may shop for one for air travel.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...mera-bags.aspx
    Last edited by Yardley; 16-Feb-2012 at 09:02.

Linhof ProfiPort easily supports a TK and will fit into a brief case so it will easily fit a Pelican case.

Ari, I lucked into a carbon fiber "Triopo- 1227" (Gitzo Clone), (ca $150 cdn)...put a small Feisol ball head with QR plate. I got my tripod out of Vancouver and it was delivered to Alberta for $5 via Canada Post. Besides my big Ries it holds everything from my Rollei to Deardorff & Chamonix 5x7. The Triopo is as well made as the Feisol (in hand comparison) & came with a very nice padded case. Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    Every flight I end up in seems to have the 23kg limit. Which airlines give you a higher allowance? I'd like to give them my business.

The pelican 1650 is also oversize unfortunately. It's close though, so maybe you'll slip through without fees.
    Noah, some flights give me 2x23kg, usually national airlines going transcontinental.
    Air Canada, BA, Air France; sometimes, not all the time, though.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
    For Carry-on Think Tank makes several cases. I don't know about your budget..

I travel with an old Gitzo Compac Studex Rapid and a Ball Head. It's sturdy but heavy (10 Lbs).
    When flying I packed the tripod and light stands in a separate case for cargo. These days I would try to rent gaffer gear (except the tripod) on arrival.

I don't fly much these days. If weight is an issue the Feisol gear is attractive. I may shop for one for air travel.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...mera-bags.aspx
    Out of my budget, but thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Linhof ProfiPort easily supports a TK and will fit into a brief case so it will easily fit a Pelican case.
    I will have a look-see, Bob; thank you very much for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Ari, I lucked into a carbon fiber "Triopo- 1227" (Gitzo Clone), (ca $150 cdn)...put a small Feisol ball head with QR plate. I got my tripod out of Vancouver and it was delivered to Alberta for $5 via Canada Post. Besides my big Ries it holds everything from my Rollei to Deardorff & Chamonix 5x7. The Triopo is as well made as the Feisol (in hand comparison) & came with a very nice padded case. Have a great trip!
    Thanks, Greg; I will certainly investigate this further; that`s what I was hoping to find.

That 1650 case weighs in around 33 pounds empty,
    Ari,
    Not quite that heavy! The case as shipped weighs a touch under 21 pounds.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by civich View Post
    Ari,
    Not quite that heavy! The case as shipped weighs a touch under 21 pounds.
    -Chris
    Hey, thanks, Chris; the B&H specs gave a much heavier weight.
    Mmmm...1650.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1650.htm

says Empty 29.1 lbs. Case with Foam: 35.5 lbs, which I can believe after traveling with a 1620 case earlier this year (with an 8x10 camera and accessories in it)

Drew Wiley

I'd never check in serious camera gear. I have a four-section Gitzo carbon fiber
    Mountaineer tripod which nicely fits into my carry-on, is agreeably light, and firmly supports any of my 4X5's or med format gear. I've never been hassled about it, though I have had my light meter inspected a couple of times, probably because it's
    the only thing with a battery in it; and I've been questioned about my 4X5, more for curiousity than suspicion. This last trip they didn't even remove it from my carry-on. I prefer a simple cordura carry-on system with conventional plastic boxes and bubble wrapping inside protecting gear instead of one of those conspicuous Pelican style cases which add a lot of unecessary weight and scream "steal me" all over them.