Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where on earth do I get 8x10 color printed?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Where on earth do I get 8x10 color printed?

Vascilli, the lab would have to first do a contact internegative, which would probably be $20 to $30. Then the contact print from that would be $10 to $15, plus shipping, so to get the ball rolling would be $50 or so. Then you have costs for the paper and enlargements.

I'm guessing that you would pay at least 2x for color as B&W. Contact a lab that does museum grade B&W printing from 8x10, and ask them who they would recommend for doing it.

Otherwise your printing options were discussed under the Ilfochrome thread.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Digital prints from an E-6 transparency aren't too shabby and an economical alternative to Ilfochrome:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...111#post846111

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Where do you live and how big a print do you need? What kind of quality do you expect, and what can you afford? It can all still be done, though direct printing of
    chromes to Ciba is going to be around only a little while longer. Interneg to C-print is easy enough, though to do it right would probably bring the cost up toward that of
    drum scanning and Lightjet or whatever. I always and only print my own 8X10 shots,
    so know how it's done. Quality takes time. You also have the option of having the
    chrome drum scanned, then of doing your own PS work, then sending the file to the
    service beareau for actual printing or a smaller sample print. Around this part of the
    world, you can get either digital or traditionally enlarged prints. Some pretty famous
    color photographers of past decades started out by contact printing their color negs
    under a small color enlarger, at least until they could afford a full-sized enlarger!

GPC Labworks in Ottawa still does traditional enlargements; they process 8x10 film, likely they can print it, as well.