View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 202 of 299 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2986

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Cool, thanks! That's pretty much the routine I was thinking of, throwing an 85mm on either my Nikon FE or my Pentax K1000 for those longer shots or through the fence and letting the TW take care of the rest. Unfortunately I wasn't an original backer so I'm hoping to get one if they have extras or pick one up from one of those people who may not want it by the time they get it. But I will get one! I'll ping you the next time I'm out there. Hopefully this fall....

Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

For street, I mainly shoot a 35mm lenses on my Leica, I guess I'm not much for longer lenses, although the 80mm on the Rollei is nice for street portraiture.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of quality I can achieve with the TravelWide in more carefully considered shots on the GorillaPod tripod, stopped down, carefully metered, and using the higher quality Super Angulon f/8 lens.

Most of what I shoot is 4x5 and I would say 80% is shot with my Schneider 350mm and my Fuji 450mm....only occasionally do I break out the Fuji 240mm....which is wide angle for me.....on my 35 I can see shooting 85mm and 135mm pretty exclusively. I borrowed a friends Hasselblad and his 80mm wasn't that useful to me so I rented a 120mm and that was the ticket....so yeah, I'm long lens guy....but a lot of details I can get close up to so the Travelwide will work...I just wish there were faster films. It'd be sweet to get Portra 800 in 4x5! Or Delta 3200! That'd be awesome!

Yes, the real problem is that fast films aren't available in 4x5. I shoot a lot of Delta 3200@1600 in 35mm and medium format. It's a great film, especially on the street when I'm moving and the subject is moving.

Besides, I think large format lenses are designed to be stopped down for maximum sharpness, not too far to avoid diffraction, though. I wonder what the sweet spot is on the f/8 Super Angulon, f/22 perhaps?

Letchenhausen:

Look into using the Travelwide with a spotting scope or telescope using "Eyepiece Projection" techniques.

Years ago I did this with an old Speed Graphic and a B&L spotter. I had to build a bracket to hold them both aligned and rig a shutter in between. It was a little fussy to use, but I got several shots of the sun rising huge behind an agricultural wind mill.

When I can get ahold of a Travelwide, I will try something like that again. Hopefully the camera will be light enough to forgo the cumbersome bracket. I have a very small Celestron and a spotting scope waiting.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Yes, the real problem is that fast films aren't available in 4x5. I shoot a lot of Delta 3200@1600 in 35mm and medium format. It's a great film, especially on the street when I'm moving and the subject is moving.

Besides, I think large format lenses are designed to be stopped down for maximum sharpness, not too far to avoid diffraction, though. I wonder what the sweet spot is on the f/8 Super Angulon, f/22 perhaps?
    You can get 1600 out of Tri-X (and probably HP5, I just haven't done it) with Acufine. A long time ago I did some fooling with Tri-X and with some pre-flashing techniques was able to get an okay image rating it at 6400!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

True, I know you can, but I would rather use a faster film in those circumstances for better results. It is a pity that Ilford does not sell Delta 3200 in 4x5. Any chance it could be put on the special order?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    It is a pity that Ilford does not sell Delta 3200 in 4x5. Any chance it could be put on the special order?
    No. The special order provides for different-size cuts of already-existing coatings. The Delta 3200 emulsion has never been offered on polyester sheet film base, only on acetate roll film base.

I agree Larry, that would certainly be a neat addition to the LF film family. Portra 800 too. But as far as alternatives go, I figured I'd mention the usage of Acufine and 320/400-class films.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Yeah, you're right Oren, what a bummer. I wonder if there is any technical reason why it could not be done.

Anyway, this leads me back to thinking that the TravelWide would produce the best quality when stopped down on a tripod but I suppose that is true of any camera. I have a Leica for fast street work with fast film, it just does not seem like I would like the TravelWide for that.