View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 150 of 299 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200250 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 2986

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

I'm seeing a whole line of extender blocks, for different focal lengths. How many focal lengths could be supported? Can the extender blocks be made out of plastic in a 3D printer?

I'd be curious to see the results of this experiment... It turns out that at 135mm, 20mm of travel would give you almost exactly ∞-1m range. (Assuming that the block is engineered to focus exactly at infinity when the helical is racked back.)

That 135mm block would be godsend for those of us that have extra 135mm Graflex/Wollensak Optars. Much lighter than my Pacemaker, and the Optars are dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    I'm seeing a whole line of extender blocks, for different focal lengths. How many focal lengths could be supported? Can the extender blocks be made out of plastic in a 3D printer?
    I'd have to do the math, or engineering calculations, but it's conceivable to me that at a certain setback and the right focal length, one could even shoot 5X7. I think the fellows here opened up a huge potential market for "light" camera gear up to 5X7. another option is a 6X17 CM panorama back. My mind is already working a 6X12 holder for the current 90mm configuration.

But for right now, my goal is to get my hands on both camera's and try them out. Then, I very soon want to get a back fitted, either by 3D print or CNC for the Nikon 135. My current situation is to use a light material run through the CNC machine. Another option for cutting these types of parts is water jet, which is being used in custom shops for many fairly straight forward parts.

For issues as mentioned by Ben just now, I think I would consider two or more blocks or a shim prototype method to work out the fine measurement details.

I would be very happy if Wanderlust moved ahead with some extender blocks, as I have my mind wrapped around a project to recycle QuickLoad and Readyload envelopes with any emulsion 4X5 film. I have about 155 Quick and Readyload envelopes complete with film, of all ages of expiration, and both shooting those and refilling/shooting the envelopes with fresh film is high on my list of projects. I have some ideas there that seem close to possible.

In any event, I am very patient in all this, as I understand taking the necessary time to get things right. I am excited however to take the base to the fellow with the CNC machine and let him take a crack at one extender, or a set of extenders that can be milled on one side for exact dimension. He may soon be working with a 3D printer for some of his bicycle parts, so there is that potential.

I'm really excited about this camera becoming a platform for various 4x5 camera hacks... Sort of like how the Holga is an easily hackable platform for medium format. We would be happy to open source the 3D drawings of the basic dimensions—especially the back.

I was also planning on seeing if my 6x17 back (the Chinese type that fits 5x4 cameras by extending 40mm at the rear) would work with either the 90 or 65 body to give infinity focus with any of the lenses I have. I think the 90 body plus 40mm of rear extension should out me in the ballpark for a 150mm lens, perhaps my g claron. Not sure how the camera would balance or if the body would be rigid enough to hold the not inconsiderable weight of the 6x17 back hanging off the rear. We'll have to see.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Ben, how easy or difficult will it be to change lenses on the Travelwide focusing version? Would one be able to swap lenses easily on a day out shooting? Or would changing focal lengths in the field be a complex task?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Ben, how easy or difficult will it be to change lenses on the Travelwide focusing version? Would one be able to swap lenses easily on a day out shooting? Or would changing focal lengths in the field be a complex task?
    The thing about changing lenses is that the 90 camera, as delivered, is designed for 90mm lenses and specifically the 90 f6.8 Angulon. So if changing to a different 90mm lens would require you to also reset the focus marker to match the flange focal distance of the lens you are putting on the camera. That is the reason they are supplying the plastic focusing back. That would be more time consumung I would think than just changing the lenses, invloving setting the camera on a tripod, locking the shutter open on 'B' and using a magnifer to check out where infinity was on the lens you are attaching.

On another note, all this talk about back extenders has caused a light bulb moment. A home made, hobby plywood extender. Yeah, I'm sure I could do that so as to use my 130mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat recovered from a broken Kodak 1A.

Quote Originally Posted by zuiko90 View Post
    The thing about changing lenses is that the 90 camera, as delivered, is designed for 90mm lenses and specifically the 90 f6.8 Angulon. So if changing to a different 90mm lens would require you to also reset the focus marker to match the flange focal distance of the lens you are putting on the camera. That is the reason they are supplying the plastic focusing back. That would be more time consumung I would think than just changing the lenses, invloving setting the camera on a tripod, locking the shutter open on 'B' and using a magnifer to check out where infinity was on the lens you are attaching.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. Also keep in mind that with most 90s, you need to unscrew the rear element to attach it to a lens board, so you need a clean place to set the rear element down. So it kind of depends on what your definition of "in the field" is. If you're traveling, you could change lenses at a coffeeshop or hotel room, or possibly even a park bench, but it is going to require a minute or two.

Do or do not. There is no try.

I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking about changing from one 90mm to another, but from, say, a 90mm to a 135mm by adding an extender back and (perhaps) changing focusing mounts. That gets to the heart of my question - is there any quick way to change what's on the front of the camera? I would be willing to purchase an additional focusing mount, if it's available, to support this.