View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 207 of 299 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2986

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Thanks Stone! Well, I'm thinking of trying it for street shooting and I don't think I'll mind losing some shadow detail, etc.. I also have a crown graphic that I could use with faster speeds (though it's a little heavy for me to handhold). I used to use the Fuji B3000 with it and could shoot a little more "on-the-fly". I do have a roll of D3200 in 120 that I can't wait to use - I used some very expired stuff before and it was fogged but still nice. I guess manufacturers sorta think most who shoot 4x5 are the film equivalent of pixel peepers and only want "perfect" results with no grain. There are many "looks" and it really bugs me when someone tries to say that something is wrong just because they wouldn't do it. But I digress…

Stone, pretty much all 400-speed films are lower contrast, compared to 100-speed films. Either way, 3 stops is a long way, and one should test and experiment before doing anything "serious."
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

I agree with Corran that the Moriyama stuff is not flattering, it's that ugly Tokyo style, I've never been that drawn to the work.

I'm much more captivated by the work Roy Decarava did with printing dark, dark skin and deep shadows. This is a great article on his photographs: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/ma...kin.html?_r=0# I wish I had taken Roy's classes at Hunter College, where he taught for years.
    There is great power in the shadows, I don't think we should throw them away.

My understanding is that Delta 3200 is also a low contrast film which is what allows it to capture high contrast scenes, such a concerts where the musician's head is in a spotlight and his feet are in the dark.

Three stops is indeed a long way, there is no free lunch.

Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    Thanks Stone! Well, I'm thinking of trying it for street shooting and I don't think I'll mind losing some shadow detail, etc.. I also have a crown graphic that I could use with faster speeds (though it's a little heavy for me to handhold). I used to use the Fuji B3000 with it and could shoot a little more "on-the-fly". I do have a roll of D3200 in 120 that I can't wait to use - I used some very expired stuff before and it was fogged but still nice. I guess manufacturers sorta think most who shoot 4x5 are the film equivalent of pixel peepers and only want "perfect" results with no grain. There are many "looks" and it really bugs me when someone tries to say that something is wrong just because they wouldn't do it. But I digress…
    Nothing beats Fiji B300....

It has nothing to do with not wanting less grain in images it has to do with two basic factors, one is that the majority of people are shooting on a tripod when using large-format and so the demand is not very high, and two, demand is so low that it doesn't make sense for them to put in R&D and reduce the purchase of HP5+

Remember that D3200 has a very thin base, so they would have to engineer a new base material and do testing before they could release something.

Unfortunately for us, they (Ilford) are not willing to put out a product that they themselves do not feel is high enough quality and risk ruining the reputation of the company despite other people's requests for it, so they could in theory just cut some 4x5 from existing stock, but they refuse to risk having thin sheets of film out there in the world for people to complain about.

On the converse, Rollie decided that they would take the risk and are cutting Rollie IR 400 in 4x5 from the ultra thin roll base, it's basically as thin as lith film, and easily falls out in a developing tank unless you use the JOBO 3010 or possibly dip-dunk with clips.

That being said at least it exists.

I really hope that Rollie sells enough that they can justify doing some new R&D and producing the IR film on a new thicker base so that they can provide it in 8x10. But that, like D3200 in sheet, PanF+ in sheet, Eastman Double-X in sheet, and possibly this wanderlust camera, are all pipe dreams that may never come to fruition...

Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

We're gonna get the camera, they've ordered the last part. The films are most likely pipe dreams, I agree.

It's not just about grain, it's about detail in the shadows.

Yes, the trouble is that LF shooters are seen as always using a tripod but perhaps that will change if enough people are shooting 4x5 handheld.
    Last edited by Larry Kellogg; 2-Jun-2015 at 11:58.

Winger, I'm with you! I want more grain, not less....and I love Moriyama and all the Provoke era Japanese photographers. Their stuff looks kinetic and makes everything else look like grandpa's photography....

Wow, this thread really derailed...
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

We gotta talk about something while we wait for the camera.

guote=======Winger, I'm with you! I want more grain, not less....and I love Moriyama and all the Provoke era Japanese photographers. Their stuff looks kinetic and makes everything else look like grandpa's photography.... ========

Imitchu... particularly on Moriyama.

Grandpa had taste.