Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with old Mentor Goltz v. Breutmann

Help with old Mentor Goltz v. Breutmann

Hello! I'm from Ukraine, so sorry for my bad English. I was given an old camera:
    Mentor Goltz v. Breutmann, Dresden 46 843.
    Object lens: Zeiss Tessar 1:3,5, 15 cm.
    I do not know how to use it. Could you give me any information on it? User's guide or something. I would be very grateful.

Re: Help with old Mentor Goltz v. Breutmann

That one is more than eighty years old at least - rather past being simply used. You'll first of all have to figure out whether the shutter curtains are still light-tight and flexible, many of them have hardened and cracked, and need replacement.

Thanks for the answer

You are fortunate to have a set of film holders to use with the camera. It might be difficult or impossible to find some otherwise.

Sorry I can't offer any information on your camera. It looks to be in very good condition given its age. You may also have to replace the accordion bellows if they are dry and cracked or have pinholes in them.

Peter Gomena

As the owner of a 13x18cm Mentor (bought from the Ukraine!) some comments!
    If you focal plane shutter actually workd it is possible the only one that does in the whole world!
    The camera is great fun and many different lenses can be mounted on lens boards. These must have shutters, of course.
    The only repair that is necessary is to be replace the odd shaped mirror.
    There is no construction design info available - I have searched.
    You might want to check/repair the aluminium wood assembly at the very front as this can be quite worn.
    Bellows are often in "as new" condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    As the owner of a 13x18cm Mentor (bought from the Ukraine!) some comments!
    If you focal plane shutter actually workd it is possible the only one that does in the whole world!
    Well, out of my five Mentors, two (arguably both of relatively recent vintage - made in the fifties to early sixties) were in working order when I got them. The older ones generally had a blind mirror and/or a stuck shutter - both are repairable issues, though.

I just bought 13x18 Mentor, which I think might be Mentor Atelier(?). The shutter works, flash-sync too, but the shutter curtain has needle-pin leaks. I was prepared to use front-assembled Packard ideal #6 shutter, anyway. However, besides the shutter time selection and fire button there is a controller of which usage I don't know and didn't ask the seller while he had said the shutter doesn't work. Now I'm asking what is this knob (picture) for?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mentor.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	97708
    I would also appreciate a Manual, but I think there are only a couple of them left (seen one with a Mentor Camera on eBay).

Quote Originally Posted by keisaa View Post
    I just bought 13x18 Mentor, which I think might be Mentor Atelier(?). The shutter works, flash-sync too, but the shutter curtain has needle-pin leaks. I was prepared to use front-assembled Packard ideal #6 shutter, anyway. However, besides the shutter time selection and fire button there is a controller of which usage I don't know and didn't ask the seller while he had said the shutter doesn't work. Now I'm asking what is this knob (picture) for?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mentor.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	97708
    I would also appreciate a Manual, but I think there are only a couple of them left (seen one with a Mentor Camera on eBay).
    Looking at the ebay link the missing knob sets the shutter speed
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by keisaa View Post
    Now I'm asking what is this knob (picture) for?
    That housed the long-time (1/5s to 3s) timer wind lever and settings wheel - a bit more complex than a simple knob. But the camera ought to work without it, if you can do without these times. It was a option only, many of their cameras never had that extra delay timer.