Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Films in Fridge, where to put!

Films in Fridge, where to put!

Hi,

I wonder whether putting films in the freezer, would make any difference vs putting it in the cooler. ( Freezer top, cooler bottom )

Wouldnt the lower temp of the freezer, result in a lower rate of reaction ? So its better ?

Ive been storing mine in the cooler. With the recent price hike of Tri X 100ft in Malaysia, thinking of getting 10 Bulk Rolls.

Thanks

Re: Films in Fridge, where to put!

Freezing film is fine for long-term storage. Many believe it will hold the film fresh longer. In your high-humidity situation, I would only freeze film in its original factory packaging (not opened tins, etc.) and put them in plastic freezer bags first. Remember to let them warm up to room temperature before opening or you risk condensation forming on the film (if it's as humid there as I think, I'd let a bulk roll warm up at least overnight before opening).

After you have an open can, freezing may not be the best option. Store it in the refrigerator section (above freezing) in a plastic bag. Again, make sure to warm it up to room temperature before opening the can.

Best,

Doremus

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I don't freeze film and have never really seen convincing evidence (ither than popular opinion) that freezing film is more beneficial than refrigeration. I refrigerate most of my film for long-term storage. As mentioned above, keeping film in original packaging and air-tight bags seems a good idea, and I do that religiously. In addition to humidity it also protects the film from the inevitable food spillage if in a refrigerator that is not dedicated to film storage. I also heed the advice (more often than not) of warming up at room temperature to avoid condensation.

A stack of frozen film concealed a turkey in my freezer for well over a year. This turkey eventually became the pin hole turkey cam and that was an epoch disaster on a scale which even Hollywood's digitalized finest couldn't do justice.
    Lesson learned: Be very careful about what you keep in your freezer
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Out of morbid curiousity... which end of the turkey had the pinhole?

'Many believe it will hold the film fresh longer. '

Just bought 60 rolls of Tri X 400 in 135 format. Though I only shoot like 20 rolls a year!
    Am still seeling stuff to fund a Dorff!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    A stack of frozen film concealed a turkey in my freezer for well over a year. This turkey eventually became the pin hole turkey cam and that was an epoch disaster on a scale which even Hollywood's digitalized finest couldn't do justice.

John. I hope you made another camera this year, took some photographs and ate the evidence! . happy thanksgiving !

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    please tell me you have photos of the turkey cam !!!!!!
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

There is no compelling reason to freeze film for long term storage; the fridge is perfectly adequate.
    If we were talking about color films, then freezing would be better if you intended on keeping it past it's stale date.

I put once Polaroid film in the freezer, that definitely wasn't a bright idea
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.