Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ground-glass 8x10

New Ground-glass 8x10

I have a B&J Commercial View 8x10, and the ground glass sucks! I can't see nothing on that thing.

What do you recommend? Can I do something to make the groundglass I have today any better or should I just get a new one?

thanks!

funkadelic

Re: New Ground-glass 8x10

Remove the cap from the lens!

What's wrong with the glass? Is it just dim or can you not focus the image on the glass?

If there is a lot of tobacco smoke stain on it or just dirty, a soap and water wash works wonders as long as there is not a water based grid on the GG.

There is no grid at all.

Well the problem is that I cant really see if its sharp or not, also it seems quite dim. I'll try wash it. Thanks

Cogito, ergo sum

GG is cheap. Just buy a new one.
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

Surplus Shed has kodak GGs.
    Yanke on eBay makes a very good GG for a good price.
    Steve Hopf makes an excellent GG for a good price.

Original ground glasses on older cameras always seemed dim and coarse to me, regardless of how carefully I washed them. The crowning moment came a number of years ago when a friend and I were photographing in the bottom of a ravine in Shades State Park in Indiana. I couldn't see well enough to focus on my Calumet CC-400's original screen, even under a heavy focusing cloth, while my friend who had a newer camera with a Maxwell screen didn't even need the focusing cloth! The difference was amazing! I went and bought a new focusing screen from Satin Snow and the difference was just staggering. Dump that old junk and get yourself a real ground glass!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    Original ground glasses on older cameras always seemed dim and coarse to me, regardless of how carefully I washed them. The crowning moment came a number of years ago when a friend and I were photographing in the bottom of a ravine in Shades State Park in Indiana. I couldn't see well enough to focus on my Calumet CC-400's original screen, even under a heavy focusing cloth, while my friend who had a newer camera with a Maxwell screen didn't even need the focusing cloth! The difference was amazing! I went and bought a new focusing screen from Satin Snow and the difference was just staggering. Dump that old junk and get yourself a real ground glass!

Mike
    Anybody knows how an original Calumet C1 GG (new condition) compares to a "modern"? Supposedly the C1 GG was (is?) considered very good.

/gth

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    There is no grid at all.

Well the problem is that I cant really see if its sharp or not, also it seems quite dim. I'll try wash it. Thanks
    A f 5.6 plasmat should give a nice bright image. What lens are you using? If it is a f12 wide-angle, it is going to be dim.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post

Mike
    I think this is due to the quality (purity & finenes) of the grits used to gring the glass. I've reground quite a few screens and they are now substantially brighter. It's not just dirt you could see they were coarser to start with. Modern grits are much better graded.

Ian