Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Word on Kodak Price Increases?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any Word on Kodak Price Increases?

I don't want to promote rumors but is there any fact to the notion that film prices will rise (as of January 22, 2012) ?

Re: Any Word on Kodak Price Increases?

They already did as of the 15th at least at b&h.

E100G in 8x10 jumped up for a few days, then went back down to it's original $119/free shipping price.

Portra in 4x5 and 8x10 are still the same, but it also jumped for a few days last week, then went back down.

Fujichrome 20 sheet boxes are definitely looking better and better... but I like Fuji film anyway.

Those bastards! I paid $78.50 for tmy in 4x5. It was and now is $71.95

at Badgers the prices jumped up at the few days ago. The ektar 4x5 went to 26$, from 23..also the portra 160/400

Why pay top dollar for a dying horse?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ilford black and white was already more expensive. Kodak could go up and still be cheaper, or the same.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Why pay top dollar for a dying horse?
    Because:

1. It's ill, but reports of its death are so far greatly exaggerated, and
    2. Even ill, it's still the best horse in the race, at least in color. I like Fuji E6 films but since Ilfochrome died before I got back into it, I don't have any interest in LF E6 any more. My only interest in E6 now is for projection, and that means 35mm and while Portra 400 is good, in medium speed since Fuji killed Astia it's E100G for me. In neg film, Fuji just can't really compete any more, and in LF they don't even try to compete in North America.

Drew Wiley

Just get used to it. Prices are going up all over the place due to dramatic increases in
    raw materials and shipping. Looked at how much Ilford papers have recently gone up?
    Looked at the price of silver? Petrochemicals? I'm sure glad I stocked up on some things a years ago when they were already too high, because they're a lot worse now.
    This is not a situation unique to Kodak. It's called inflation, and after about a decade
    of keeping things artificially depressed, the ice has finally cracked.

Here is inflation for ya FRESH Fujifilm Fujichrome Astia RAP 100F in 4x5 20 sheets is $39.95 a great price IMO, (20 pcs at 4x5 = same surface at 10 pcs of 8x10 right?) Why they cant just leave it at 8x10 and sell it as 10 pieces for the same price is beyond me. Greedy Jerks)

So here is the Inflation part. Fujifilm Fujichrome Astia RAP 100F in 8x10 is not available to the USA! It is freshly made and available in Japan (in 8x10). However to get it sent here it cost $500 for 10 pcs, this is before any dutys or scanner ruining events that may take place. I got the weak US $ vs the YEN or some crap like this when I questioned the ridiculous price.

Now Kodak is under the knife so I expect to see all color Neg and Slide 8x10 start to creep up to retarded prices like the Gouger of the Astia RAP 100F who has access to it.

What is the deal with Fuji not letting people around the world have access to all of its products. If Kodak is on it's deathbed why isn't Fuji trying to finish them off by flooding the market with film at cut rate prices. Then like a drug dealer after the competition had been eliminated and people are hooked start to limit the supply and drive up the price.

LF color film is a weird business indeed. To me it only makes sense product is based on cost of materials, so a price per SQ inch should govern the price. Well this isn't the case, 4x5 vs 8x10 is way different when you compare actual sq inches of product $ for $.

Sorry to get off the Kodak subject, I did my part and placed a nice fat order of ektar Fresh 4x5 and 8x10 it is sitting nicely in the freezer as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Here is inflation for ya FRESH Fujifilm Fujichrome Astia RAP 100F in 4x5 20 sheets is $39.95 a great price IMO, (20 pcs at 4x5 = same surface at 10 pcs of 8x10 right?) Why they cant just leave it at 8x10 and sell it as 10 pieces for the same price is beyond me. Greedy Jerks)

So here is the Inflation part. Fujifilm Fujichrome Astia RAP 100F in 8x10 is not available to the USA! It is freshly made and available in Japan (in 8x10). However to get it sent here it cost $500 for 10 pcs, this is before any dutys or scanner ruining events that may take place. I got the weak US $ vs the YEN or some crap like this when I questioned the ridiculous price.

LF color film is a weird business indeed. To me it only makes sense product is based on cost of materials, so a price per SQ inch should govern the price. Well this isn't the case, 4x5 vs 8x10 is way different when you compare actual sq inches of product $ for $.
    I just bought some 8x10 Astia from Badger a month ago. It was $183 for 20 sheets. Not way different from 4x$40 and even less than 4x current Badger price for 4x5 which is $50.