Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Found Photographs

Re: Found Photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    I did use image search, but with keywords rather than the image itself.

Robert
    Thank you.

Very interesting.

Randy Moe
    Tin Can

Hmmm... I had done a bit of Google Image searching myself, looking for candidates which had the more distinctive features (arched door, rose windows, brick pilasters, railing and upper level windows). I passed over the Perkins because about the only features that match are the arched door and the wrought-iron railing. The brickwork in Randy's picture is really distinctive, and the combination of pilasters and rose windows should mean something to an architect so I hope that one will chime in on this.

Harold

I think that if you spend a few minutes on Flickr looking at exterior photos of the newer observatory, you will be convinced, as I am, that they are the same building as portrayed in Randy's photo. The distinctive brickwork is there, albeit aged a half-century.

Robert

It's entirely possible that I picked the wrong image for comparison; this one came from an Ohio Wesleyan webpage, and shows up a number of times in Google Image searches for "campus observatory". Of course, the perspective is not the same, and it is possible that the masonry was altered down through the years, but I can't seem to find any trace of the rose windows or the "original" doorway surround in the newer photo. The images that I was comparing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	observatories.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	126664

It's a fun search, in any case.

Harold

I agree Harold, those are 2 different buildings.

And I happen to have started looking into telescope construction thanks to our lens designer. The book he recommended arrived today, 'How to Make a Telescope'!

Astro Photography is amazing, even on a beginning level.
    Tin Can

Randy,

The prize goes to Robert Brazile: if you search Google Images for "Perkins Observatory rear view" you will find your "church", no question about it. (I was originally using the presence of an arched door to narrow down the search, but the first images to pop up don't show that.) Wouldn't it be neat to re-create your picture? From what I found, the buildings date from around 1931, so you might have to work around some 80-year-old trees in a modern version!

Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    Randy,

The prize goes to Robert Brazile: if you search Google Images for "Perkins Observatory rear view" you will find your "church", no question about it. (I was originally using the presence of an arched door to narrow down the search, but the first images to pop up don't show that.) Wouldn't it be neat to re-create your picture? From what I found, the buildings date from around 1931, so you might have to work around some 80-year-old trees in a modern version!

Harold
    WOW! Just read some of the history. The very famous mirror sure got around!

I usually don't go to Ohio, but this would be worth a trip.

Telescopes just keep popping up in my view.

I sure hope I don't catch telescope fever, LF fever has got me on the run. Sing that to John Lennon's 'Cold Turkey',1972.
    Tin Can

Yes, sorry, in case it isn't completely clear by now: there are two observatories at Ohio Wesleyan, and Randy's photo is of the newer of the two. That older one has likely confused the matter a bit.

Robert

Mad Men -

I have had a large envelope for a few years with a lot of large color prints from 1949 - 1950. Some were for advertising, some for magazine covers (some of the color prints have copies of the actual magazine cover attached). All look like they were shot with large format.

Anyway, been a few years since I looked through them - this evening I found in between some of the prints - 3 4X5 Kodachrome slides, 2 8X10 chromes (don't say Kodachrome or Ektachrome, just Kodak Safety Film), and 1 8X10 B&W neg. Below are the 4X5's.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

And the 8X10's -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg