Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Found Photographs

Re: Found Photographs

Beautiful, thanks for posting.

Thanks to all for the positive comments. It makes me smile to think that his photos are garnering some small bit of attention after all these years. He was also very witty. On the back of each photo he hand wrote captions and notes, many of which are humorous.

I can't be sure if he used a meter or not, and I have no idea what film was used. I have a feeling these shots were all from the same roll, since there are 37 photos total and they seem to have been processed and printed at the same time. If so, that would be even more amazing to me, as I tend to get one or two good shots from a roll! I really wish the negatives survived, but I had a chance to go through all of my grandparents' things when my grandmother passed away ten years ago and there were no photo related items left at all.

I'll post a few of my favorites larger and individually shortly since there seems to be some interest.

Jonathan

Very nice series and very well exposed and printed. Great detail for such a variation of lighting. Nice to see a piece of history that's survived.

Jonathan,

Those are superb photos by your grandfather. My history background causes me to urge that you consider locating a historical society in Steubenville--and perhaps also the Ohio museum in Columbus--and donate sets of the prints in your grandfather's name. Those prints have significant historical value that will endure. They would be used for exhibits and even histories of the steel industry in that region. It would keep your grandfather's vision and work in the public eye.

Keith

Keith,

I agree. I made a half-assed attempt to locate an organization in Steubenville that might want the images, but on a first pass I couldn't find any takers as I recall. This was a few years ago. I seem to remember contacting one historical group and heard nothing back. I should try again. Your idea to go the Columbus route is a good idea. Steubenville is such a small town that I might need to approach a state historical society.

Jonathan

Here are a few of the Weirton Steel images a bit larger. They aren't tack sharp. I assume this is from slow film and being hand-held. The first one is my favorite of the lot.

Jonathan

Those images of weirton steel are interesting to me. I was a recruiter in Stuebenville and Weirton about 5 years ago. My wife is from wheeling. When I left the steel mill was still there, but not operating. Everyone around the area kept hoping the steel mill would open back up. Of all my time in the area the only place I saw any kind of historical photos or anything was a place in downtown wheeling that layed out the area of the Ohio valley and the steel mills. It was kind of a museum I believe. When I leave Japan and go back to visit my inlaws I was planning on taking my 8x10 around weirton to photograph the steel mill. It is pretty sad how run down the area has become.

If anything I would think you would find a group that would value the photos more in Pittsburgh which is only about a 25 minute drive from that steel mill. There is a large historical and art crowd there that I am sure would love to have copies of those prints.

Well, I have half a mind!

Jonathan, these are terrific photos! Weirton Steel Corporation was centered just across the Ohio river from Stuebenville. Some of the mills in the area are still in operation, though struggling and under an ever-changing ownership. If you are still considering donating the images, I might make these two suggestions: The Weirton Area Museum and Cultural Center (www.weirtonmuseum.com), or the Ohio Historical Society (http://www.ohiohistory.org). I think that the former might value the images a bit more since it is so much a part of their local history.

Bryan,

Thanks for the links. I'll send out some queries and see who bites.

So does that mean the steel mill is actually across the river in WV? All I know is that my grandparents lived in Steubenville from 1938-1963 while my grandfather worked there.

Jonathan

Well, I have half a mind!

Jonathan, there were several mills in the area at the time. I do not know how many different mill locations Weirton Steel had, but they did own a mill in Steubenville. Results of a quick search: http://www.answers.com/topic/weirton-steel-corp