Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

New to the forum

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. I sat on the side lines for awhile and decided to join after seeing the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I've enjoyed photography all my life, I built my 1st darkroom when I was 15yrs old and I enjoyed developing B&W film unfortunately I had to stop because it became too expensive(some of you might remember the mid 70's when silver started to go through the roof) and now that I am older and have more time and a few more $$$$$. I've just completed my latest darkroom and purchased a 35mm Canon camera, a Mamiya RB67 and now I am looking for a large format camera which I have never used one before. There are 2 cameras that I am looking at, the Graflex Crown Grafic 4x5 and the Toyo 45c. I am looking guidance on the pros and cons to both of these two cameras. Looking forward to the replies from this forum. Thanks

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: New to the forum

Welcome to the forum, Louie.

Welcome Louie, this has been a great site for me to take my photography to the next level.

Deardorff Sales and service

The 45C is a View Camera and the Graphic is not. The 45c has movements to correct perspective and depth of field. The Graphic has limited movements. It was designed as a handheld camera. The only thing they both have in common is a big negative.
    Get the 45c it looks cooler, more knobs and things that move.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

I use both view cameras and Graphic press cameras. They each have their advantages. If limited to only one, it would be a view camera for its versatility. However, the Graphic is a handy self-contained camera when the view camera's movements aren't required. The Graphic is also easier to transport. Most of my large format cameras use the same size lensboards. This can be important when using more than one camera. Basic view and Graphic cameras are inexpensive for the patient shopper, so whichever you start with can be resold with little loss if you choose the other type. You may decide to keep both. Any of the books on large format photography are valuable to the new buyer and user. For the Graphic, Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan & Morgan, 11th or later edition, is valuable.

first thing first the Crown Graphic IS A View camera as you focuss on the ground glass
    it is a press camera too .
    as for using the Crown the only thing that I have porblums is when needing a long lens! I own over a 100 camera different large format cameras and if you ask me what to buy for most of all work I have ever done I would get a Super Graphic // or Super Speed Graphic (its the same camera body just different lens & shutter) now some of the other field camera have more movements BUT you pay the price to get them!!
    SO a Crown or a Super Graphic is a very good camera to start with and grow from.
    And every body gets to talking about all the movements ! and yes movements are nice to have BUT 95* of the time you will never need them all!! SO next you need to think about what kind of shoting you are going to do! as you may not need any movements at all so why pay for all the movements that you may never use!

Thanks, Brian, chassis for your welcome. The DeardorfGuy, Jim Jones and banjo thanks for your perspective. I think I have to research more before I decide which large format to go with. I think for know I will enjoy my darkroom and my medium format.
    Louie

There is a Graflex Crown View 4x5, and a very capable viewfinder it is!
    http://graflex.org/articles/graphic-view/CrownView.html
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The Graphic IS a view camera ... and a good one ... a lot of us started with it and still use it. It is a great way to get into large format.

I shoot mostly 8x10 and Whole Plate now but still have, use, and love my 4x5 Speed Graphic ... if I could only keep one ... I'd keep the Speed Graphic without a second thought ... it is way more versatile than the other "view" cameras I have.

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    There is a Graflex Crown View 4x5, and a very capable viewfinder it is!
    http://graflex.org/articles/graphic-view/CrownView.html
    I meant "...capable view camera.."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White