Thread: Sinaron S 210mm diameter?

Sinaron S 210mm diameter?

Hello,

I am new to both LF photography and to this forum as well. I was curious about the diameter of a Sinaron S 210mm MC lens, made by Rodenstock as indicated on the barrel. I made a mistake and thought this lens was the same as a Sironar S and thus believed it used 72mm filters, as noted on the LF 4x5 lenses specs page. To my surprise I realized the two lenses are not the same, as the 72mm filter I had purchased for it was too big. I did some research and read in a couple threads that the Sinaron S is actually the same as the APO Sironar N or Caltar II N. However, the 4x5 lens specs chart for the Sironar N say it uses 58mm filters, which I have and a are too small for this. I have 67mm filters for my DSLR and took a chance to see if they fit, and they do. So the Sinaron S 210mm MC (rodenstock) lens I have is actually 67mm, not 58mm as stated for the APO Sironar N. So I guess my question is, is this a different lens or is it just an error on the chart? Now I'm wondering if the rest of the information for the APO Sironar N is the same for this one. Thank you for your help!

LW

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

Re: Sinaron S 210mm diameter?

Welcome to the forum!

The linked table is incorrect on that point. Per Rodenstock's literature, and confirmed just now by measuring mine, the filter size for the 210 (Apo-)Sironar-N is indeed 67mm.

Hi, and welcome aboard.

Like Oren said, it's definitely 67mm. I measured my 210mm non-apo Sironar-N just to be sure, and checked several Rodenstock docs.

One possible source of the error...
    The 180mm Sironar-N (the next smaller lens in the series) takes 58mm filters.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thank you for confirming that.