Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a wireless cable release! Who can build one?

Re: I want a wireless cable release! Who can build one?

The overtravel/trip point adjustments are easy, if you have the tools and skills, but then, so are most other mechanical tasks. Salvaging parts from an RC toy looks like far and away the best approach.

If memory serves, the Copals have a positive stop (the manual trip lever strikes the housing at the end of travel) but certainly not all shutters do, and I wouldn't take chances with the insides of, say, a Rollieflex, without checking first.

I built a solenoid-operated shutter release (complete with adjustements...) and it drove a Copal #3 just fine. But it wouldn't work with one of my Ilex #5s, apparently because the actuation speed was too high, and the inertia of parts inside the shutter caused the cable release pin to slip off of whatever it drives. It's a bit difficult to slow down a solenoid, so I went to a pneumatic cylinder. Fun to play with, but its a good thing I'm not trying to make a living at this stuff .

Well, it looks like no one is going to step up and build it for me. I guess i have to make the trip to toys r us, get an rc monster truck, let my kid play with it for a few days, then rip it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Well, it looks like no one is going to step up and build it for me. I guess i have to make the trip to toys r us, get an rc monster truck, let my kid play with it for a few days, then rip it apart.
    The trouble is, I can't come near your $100 price ceiling. I'd have that or more in parts.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The trouble is, I can't come near your $100 price ceiling. I'd have that or more in parts.
    now that I'm looking into making this myself, what strength servo should I get?
    the rc ones are listed in grams? I don't know how to measure the force needed on my cable release/shutter to trip/hold it down. If I buy large rc truck and dismantle it to get a steering servo out, will that work?
    I'm only considering this route because the remote would work with the servo and no additional electronics would be needed, just a battery attached to the servo/reciever pack.

Vinny,

I can be of no help, but I have read this thread with interest, there is always more to learn.

I am curious though, and if you do not mind asking; what do you want to photograph with that wireless cable release?

Most things on your web side do not move that much..;-)..

Best,

Cor

If you want an adjustable time Bulb feature there are radio based intervalometers available online. Ye Olde 433MHz ones are a little hit and miss, the newer 2.4GHz ones are better but will make the budget more of a challenge.

I have a lensboard with a solenoid sitting on it from a Speed Graphic, that should be easy enough to use provided a short initial delay doesn't bother you.

Not offering to build one... just more suggestions

Joshua Tree, California

Get a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    now that I'm looking into making this myself, what strength servo should I get?
    the rc ones are listed in grams? I don't know how to measure the force needed on my cable release/shutter to trip/hold it down. If I buy large rc truck and dismantle it to get a steering servo out, will that work?
    I'm only considering this route because the remote would work with the servo and no additional electronics would be needed, just a battery attached to the servo/reciever pack.
    Press the cable release plunger on a scale to measure the force. Don't waste money on a truck, go to Tower Hobbies.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

You're going to want the RC bits and timer bits aren't you? RC bits right off the shelf is good.
    Now you're a hundred feet further away but still don't have the timing function.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    If you want an adjustable time Bulb feature there are radio based intervalometers available online. Ye Olde 433MHz ones are a little hit and miss, the newer 2.4GHz ones are better but will make the budget more of a challenge.

I have a lensboard with a solenoid sitting on it from a Speed Graphic, that should be easy enough to use provided a short initial delay doesn't bother you.

Not offering to build one... just more suggestions
    Care to provide a link?
    I can't find anything that isn't for dslr's.