Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fungus?

Fungus?

What is the deal with fungus? There are some good deals on lenses that are described as having fungus. Can the fungus be removed?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Fungus?

The fungus can be removed, but the damage may not be able to be removed. The fungus can eat glass, so it can really damage a lens. There are all kinds of fungus that show up, even on electronic circuit boards. I have seen lens elements completely covered by fungus. Just totally nasty.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Also I believe fungus can spread between lenses, if they have sex together. No seriously, it can.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Also I believe fungus can spread between lenses, if they have sex together. No seriously, it can.
    It's worse than you might think. They just need to be near each other....
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I read somewhere that fungus only affects coated lenses, and that the etching is in the coating, not the glass itself. I don't know if that is true, but am interested in this issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    I read somewhere that fungus only affects coated lenses, and that the etching is in the coating, not the glass itself. I don't know if that is true, but am interested in this issue as well.
    Coated or non coated makes no difference. I have a first model Rollei with terrible etching in the uncoated Tessar. Clean lenses (and this includes lubricant haze) are not likely to contract fungus, as the fungus has nothing to eat. As far as I know, there is no fungus that actually eats silica - but the fungus can manufacture compounds that will etch glass.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Fungus cant eat glass ... but the waste secretions from the fungus will etch glass.... Fungus is spread with spores that spread with wind, nearness, ect... I have been a victim of this terrible disease. I use protection and it still happens....

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    Fungus cant eat glass ... but the waste secretions from the fungus will etch glass....
    That secretion is hydrofluoric acid--HFl. It's the only acid that can dissolve glass. (I stayed awake during chemistry class. ) And yes, my fear would be that an infected lens might spread spores to my other lenses. I think professional freeze drying might kill all the spores, but I'd have to read up on that.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    That secretion is hydrofluoric acid--HFl. It's the only acid that can dissolve glass. (I stayed awake during chemistry class. ) And yes, my fear would be that an infected lens might spread spores to my other lenses. I think professional freeze drying might kill all the spores, but I'd have to read up on that.

Kent in SD
    thanks.... chem and micro bio...was my favorite classes also 35 years ago... i have cried my eyes out at some pretty classic lenses i have owned.... Some lens just seem to be more prone to fungus i think... my worst favorite was a Canon 300 2.8 FD....

joseph

I thought that the fungus could be killed by leaving the lens out in sunlight? UV? No more spores?