Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feisol Review

Re: Feisol Review

I own a Feisol tripod and a monopod.
    I have one of the smaller tripods and it works great for 4x5 and medium format.
    I also have the spiked feet on the tripod and think it's a good idea.
    Dealing with Kerry is a major plus.
    Got rid of both the Ries and Gitzo after just a short time working with the Feisol

absolutely love my feisol... great purchase. I have been abusing mine for years. Sand dunes... frozen weather... salt water... backpacking abuse

I bought it because I needed the absolute lightest legs that could hold my 4x5 steady.

aside from minimal cleaning, no complaints whatsoever
    Robert Oliver

I have used a CT3342 mated with a Manfrotto 410 head. It supports my Walker Titan (around 6lb) and Nikkor 450m lens just fine. I use stainless steel spikes when on soft terrain and rubber feet on hard surfaces. No issues with stability or durabiliity. Its much easier to carry than my old Manfrotto 55 with its 029 head. Overall I would recommend one, especially if you are getting on a bit but still enjoy fairly long walks.

My 3371 is mated to a Manfrotto 410 geared head too but there is a problem with this pairing......

The head has a relatively narrow base which is much smaller than the relatively large head mount on the 3371.

The effect of this is that you don't get too much vertical tilt back because the control knob of the head hits the tripod head plate. Forward tilt is fine.

It's not too much of a problem in practice, but something you should be aware of.

Mike

Stefan

I use a Feisol 3441T and love it.

Keep in mind though that Feisol builds their tripods differently from Gitzo. Feisol is using legs of bigger diameter but with thinner walls. This results in more stable tripods (for a given weight, just look at a 1kg Gitzo 1541T compared to 1kg Feisols), but also a tripod less likely to survive a beating.

retrogrouchy

I have a 3442 and love it. Bought it for 6x7 use and it's had a lap of the world now with no issues whatsoever. It is also quite sturdy enough to support my Toyo 45A.

I was originally planning on also buying a 3371 for LF use but now see no need to bother, the little 3442 is good enough and I don't shoot 8x10 or anything silly like that.

I use the 3441 for 4x5 and the 3472 for whole plate and 8x10. Love them both.

The 3441 rubber feet do need to be glued (mine is an early model CT 3441 so they may have remedied that.) The 3472 feet are fine.

I have used the 3441 with my wooden whole plate and even a light weight 8x10 and it holds them fine ... but I don't really recommend it for regular use that heavy.