Thread: Gitzo Ball Head Question/Issue

Gitzo Ball Head Question/Issue

Hey,

Ive had a Gitzo GH1780 ball head for just over a year now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Ballhead.html

Lately its been developing a bunch of play where it pans left/right. Its not a huge issue but I'm also noticing that when I lock this part in place the whole head shifts diagonally a little bit.

While this may be well used, its not abused: I've only had a MQC 5x7 on it (rated for 22lbs) and I certainly don't kill orcs with it (chinchillas, yes. Orcs never).

This is my first ball-head. I think it should be warrantied. But before I deal with getting it replaced/fixed I want to make sure that this isn't something that inherent in this head or gitzo ball heads. If it is, I'll fight to get another head. If it isn't maybe I just have a dud.

Thanks

Re: Gitzo Ball Head Question/Issue

The older style Gitzo balls didn't have play so much as they required more and more force to lock down over time. I think they have the same design, only a nicer knob with these, so perhaps all it needs is a cleaning? But the design is such that they simply make it easier to crank the tightness instead of locking down with relatively light pressure like a better head should.

The Gitzo balls either lock or flop, versus the elliptical balls like the Arca and its many copies, where you can make them progressively stiffer and not flop over as soon as you release them.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    This is my first ball-head. I think it should be warrantied. But before I deal with getting it replaced/fixed I want to make sure that this isn't something that inherent in this head or gitzo ball heads. If it is, I'll fight to get another head. If it isn't maybe I just have a dud.

Thanks
    As far as I know, all Gitzo gear has a lifetime warranty. The link you provided says that piece does too. It shouldn't be a fight to get it replaced if you are the original owner.
    I'm currently looking for a lightweight ballhead. Yours looks enticing at 9.9 ounces, but I think I'll keep looking at my options with QR plates.

I generally like the head there are 2 issues though:

That bubble level is useless and I should have gotten the qr version. I was seduced by the weight and its certainly light.

Maybe I can trade up. You can do that with tripod heads and wives right?

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    I generally like the head there are 2 issues though:

That bubble level is useless and I should have gotten the qr version. I was seduced by the weight and its certainly light.

Maybe I can trade up. You can do that with tripod heads and wives right?
    So i am told , But it's easier too put the tripod head on E bay cheers Gary

i use this head with a linhof technika 5x7. no complain, simpel handling and rock solid even with a 600mm nikkor tele lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html