Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My GraLab quit ... oh CRAP .... Tech in the darkroom

Re: My GraLab quit ... oh CRAP .... Tech in the darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    i dont know...good question.... you can go online to digitaltruth.com and print out times for different film and developer combinations with there Massive Film Dev Database
    Thanks for that. I took the plunge and bought it. It does work fine while offline, and I like that as well as the recommendations in the database I can add my own preferred times and routines to the "My Times" section of the application. I've also discovered I can plug my Ipod into my little stereo in the darkroom and have it playing music while the timer is running! When the timer finishes it plays the alarm sound through the stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    Thanks for that. I took the plunge and bought it. It does work fine while offline, and I like that as well as the recommendations in the database I can add my own preferred times and routines to the "My Times" section of the application. I've also discovered I can plug my Ipod into my little stereo in the darkroom and have it playing music while the timer is running! When the timer finishes it plays the alarm sound through the stereo.
    cool beans ..... i am going to get me a player also. I would highly recommend an Otter case with a cover for the screen ... i can "touch" my iphone with wet fingers without worry. Even answer a phone call on speaker while i am working ...

Are there any android based timers that give audible reminders at specific intervals so i dont have to watch the second hand on my gralab when tray processing?
    Robert Oliver

Does anyone have a repair manual for the Gralab 300 that they could make available. I have two of them that are having problems after being in the darkroom for 20 years+ and don't really want to throw them out.

Regards
    Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    Are there any android based timers that give audible reminders at specific intervals so i dont have to watch the second hand on my gralab when tray processing?
    I just did a search on Android Market for 'interval timer' and 2 came up, both targeted to PT and workout enthusiasts, both are free downloads.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Wow, I've never heard of those things dying. I bought an ancient one used, it lasted through my darkroom decades, and now times my french press when I make coffee.

I used it for timing development. For the enlarger I really liked using that Zone VI compensating metronome. With it, complicated prints were easy ... almost relaxing. You can just go at your own pace and stop and start as often as you want.

Oh, just out of interest, there's another iPhone app which works brilliantly.

Take a look at http://bigredpepper.com/develop/

It integrates with filmdev.org so you can download recipes from that site directly into the app.

retrogrouchy

I use the MDC app on both iPhone and droid and it works well as long as you don't expect the red mode to be paper- or ortho- safe. Its only real shortcoming is that you can't put an arbitrary sequence of steps in it so it's not flexible enough to do E6 with all the washes required.

There's another APUG/LFPFer that wrote a suite called "Droid in the Dark" but I don't see it on Google play at the moment. It's meant to integrate exposure notes with BTZS computation with print f/stop timing via a Bluetooth relay; there was a thread or two about it a year or so ago.

I use my open source f/stop timer of course but it's got a micro controller in it and isn't droid based.

Those with iPhones can get an official app for BTZS.

My first Gralab was bought new in 1962. 50+ years later it still runs fine. Of course that is 50 years of intermittent use.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Between the Ground Glass or somewhere in the dim room.

At this point I'm just moving from 35mm into Large Format, but I did stuble accross an idea that has worked well in lieu of using the school timers.

I use my watch. It is a chronometer and is a wind up, requires no batteries or electricity, and I can see it perfectly in any light including that of a developing room in "Pitch black" when loading film as well as developing it afterwards.

Ironically it works better that the GraLab timers at school and my results have been 100% consistent in both developing film and in the Darkroom as well.

Just an idea. Thought I'd put it out there. Hope it helps.

V/r,
    Doogie