Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About Dark Room Developing

Talking About Dark Room Developing

Hi I am new to this, and I would LOVE to talk with someone in regards to this.
    Anyone really, German, Canadian, TO-Montreal!? Anyone! I am a emerging artist looking to start a huge passion for developing my own pictures. Darkroom. I've always thought it was awesome since I was young.

Is there anyone I can talk to about this, some of my question are prob stupid, and I'd like to talk with someone who wouldn't refer websites and stuff on me, and instead answer it since if one takes short cuts on the very field he/she works in the work they do can't be good... :S

Thank you

Andrew Mündenovskiy
    mundenovskiy.ca

Re: About Dark Room Developing

I'm in the UK so a personal chat is out of the question but feel free to drop me a PM with any questions and I will do my best to answer.

Alternatively post your quesions in this thread I will do my best to answer them there as well, without recourse to referring you to web sites.

Ansel Adams wrote a set of three books, "The Camera", "The Negative", and "The Print". Highly reccomended. Also, go to the homepage of this site, there is much good info there.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Hi SCOTTY230358
    I have no clue how to just act you, instead of other people reading, also... :S
    Im new here obviously - actually new to forms (I don't very much care for forums.... yes the Truth is out) But I wanna learn, and make connections with people, other artists, photographers.

First question for now, is it cheaper to develop your own pictures, then Getting a lab to develop them for you? (Im thinking much cheaper? or just cheaper)

And Second Question:
    My friend did darkroom work and she said the strongest chemical she used was like "compared" to the strength of Viniger ? is this somewhat true?
    I saw in a movie, a girl getting her face removed almost from photographic chemicals (mind you this was like a 1970 film LOL, unknown name)

having just said that I have been interested in this field of work (becoming a freelance photographer) For YEARS and years, and I've been taking pictures for years also (With a digital camera) I have JUST recently bought a few film cameras (and STILL looking for a couple, including the ROLLEIFLEX 2.8GX/2.8F... NOT having good luck!) I always edited them on my computer to the best of my knowledge of photographic programs. But I always had this feeling, that it wasn't real. Since I've been taking pictures (yet again, first time being when I was like five) It feels FAR more real. And exciting. Just something about the fact you can only take 24 pictures (35mm) and then wait how ever long to get them developed. REALLY excites me!!
    And I think when developing them myself SEELING the image slowly materialize would be a HUGELY exciting moment for me! I still love shooting with a digital camera (I use my Canon G10 PowerShot which I've used since 2009 and is reaching his age mark I guess lol for digital technology... lol) I AM actually making a iPhoto book from Apple about my [Digital] Black & White collection to date. like a coffee table book. So I can show people without having to bring a laptop over and brag about it - you now?

Andrew Mündenovskiy
    mundenovskiy.ca

1- Yes far cheaper but in fact you'll probably have a relatively hard time finding a place to develop your photos nowdays. If you're shooting black and white, you'll just need a dark place, some trays or tanks, and the chemicals, and various little things like a thermometer and scissors etc.

2- Yes, again true. In most cases and especially if you're shooting black and white film rather than color, there are no dangerous chemicals used. This of course doesn't mean you shouldn't take normal precautions and shouldn't drink the stuff, but if you get it on your skin or clothes, it won't burn you or choke you etc. There are three chemicals - other than water - which are used: developer, stop bath (which can be simply a diluted mixture of water and white vinegar) and fixer.

I suggest you start out by reading the Ansel Adams and other books on darkroom work, and fool around with 35mm and medium format film before moving up to large format.

Andrew

To augment Cyrus' reply

1. For me its not about economics its about being able to control the process and produce the results I want. Also, as previously mentioned, now that the world has lost its mind and worships at the alter of digital (poor deluted fools that they are ;-)) it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a lab to do the work. I feel that it is immensly satisfying to produce your own work from beginning to end. It gives you a real good feeling to be able to say "I made that" when you see your final result.

2. With regards to chemical toxicity - if you begin by using the most common ready made chemicals the worst classification you should come across is harmful with the vast majority being irritants. Many developers contain Metol which if you are sensitive can cause dermatitis. However many of the hazards of darkroom chemicals can be avoided by the use of nitrile gloves, some form of eye protection, good ventilation and a heay dose of common sense.

When you progress to making up your own chemistry (and many darkroom workers do - myself included) then you may come accross some chemicals that are toxic and corrosive but again common sense precautions will keep any hazards at more than acceptable limits.

I agree that you should start your journey with either 35mm or medium format. Although essentially very simple, there are many pit falls with large format that can prove frustrating to the inexperienced darkroom worker.

As for further reading I echo Cyrus' recommendation on the Ansel adams series. Additionally you may consider

a) The Photographer's Master Printing Course by Tim Rudman
    b) Larry Bartlett's Black and White Photographic Printing Workshop
    c) Basic Techniques of Photography Book 1 by John Schaefer

As your experience grows then you can get into such works as The Master Photographer's Toning Book by Tim Rudman and Controls in Black and White Printing by Carson Graves.

Keep those questions coming and enjoy the journey.

Good for you!

One thing i might add to the above points is when you develope your own film you cna actually get quick results and see what you did right/wrong while the scene is still fresh in your mind.

I was very frustrated when I was forced to send film out then wait a week or more for them to return.
    david

I am sure you will find many people willing to talk or at least share thier insight here, my counter question is - what is worth - answer by way of experience: 0. I am not saying there is not profound knowledge here or that you can or can not understand it, either way. However I feel your best bet as a Newbie to photo, is hands on in a workshop, or a local college program. In a set program you can learn the basics and form some primary opinions on the equipment required. Another question of mine is; do you merely want to do film, or large format film. This is a LF centeric group so bear that in mind the dynamics are different. I do feel that books can help, but specific ones.
    Charles Swedlund wrote an excellent one "Photography" (ISBN:0-03-056699-1) 410 pages, Holt, Rhinehart and Winston that covers the basics in simple to understand language and lots of explainintory images. It was my basic photo work book in college.

Quote Originally Posted by amündenovskiy View Post
    Hi I am new to this, and I would LOVE to talk with someone in regards to this.
    Anyone really, German, Canadian, TO-Montreal!? Anyone! I am a emerging artist looking to start a huge passion for developing my own pictures. Darkroom. I've always thought it was awesome since I was young.

Is there anyone I can talk to about this, some of my question are prob stupid, and I'd like to talk with someone who wouldn't refer websites and stuff on me, and instead answer it since if one takes short cuts on the very field he/she works in the work they do can't be good... :S

Thank you

Andrew Mündenovskiy
    mundenovskiy.ca
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Welcome Andrew,

Your enthusiasm will carry you far!

The best way is to find a class taught by a good instructor and take it. Or spend some time with someone who has their own dark room. Hands on learning is the best way, IMHO. Good luck & have FUN!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White