Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sales Tax Horror Stories

Re: Sales Tax Horror Stories

You've got to worry. We pay 20% on everything and have to pay $ to £ even though the exchange rate is $1.5 -> £1

In the US - Imop- There should be or lets say needs to be a National sales tax- with no exceptions to the mega online resellers, that would level the play field for all businesses at least on one front. All tax would be charged at the point of sale to the user. Folks like me that have paid their sales tax to their states for years would finally move the stagnant US economy in the correct direction- it says in fine print.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

From the stand point of what the governments provide taxes are a necessary evil. Sweden I beleive has you beat. They tax income at 40-50%. However they as I also beleive have one of the most prosperous economies going and also have heavily invested in clean energy technologies. I think if a government utilizes a fair income tax system sales tax is not required. Maybe the answer is to make sure no one gets away without paying? We could brand everyone so they can be kept track of. Everyone wanting to be branded raise your middle finger for the process

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    How about living in Canada and paying 15% on almost everything you buy, then paying further Customs and Duty fees once your purchase crosses the border?
    Bone-chilling enough for you?
    The worst part is that this is supposed to give us a top-drawer medical/health system and better roads and schools, but I only see a large decline in all services.
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    How about living in Canada and paying 15% on almost everything you buy, then paying further Customs and Duty fees once your purchase crosses the border?
    Bone-chilling enough for you?
    The worst part is that this is supposed to give us a top-drawer medical/health system and better roads and schools, but I only see a large decline in all services.
    LOL i live in Florida - no state tax, No city tax, no county tax. But i am required to collect tax from in state sales. It seems there might be a constitutional issue when the state requires me to collect tax for them.....in essence working for free for the state collecting said tax. With that being said ..... i am going to start a Darkroom Supplies Website that will require me to register with the state to collect the tax for them. But it is only for in state sales.

I know in the state of Florida, when i comes to collecting tax, Due process goes out the window. The tax collectors do not need a warrant to audit your books. They can seize property to collect on said taxes that they think you owe, and it is all up the the tax collectors discretion on how much and what to seize. I am considering not selling to anybody in the state of Florida for the reasons described. I think the law requires me to sign up, and fill out monthly reports on sales. Collecting sales tax on only in state sales. That will mean at there discretion they can enter my house audit my books and inventory my belongings all without a warrant or probable cause.

Keep in mind anything as a business that you purchased in your home state is subject to sales tax. That is, even if you resold it. That is considered use. The way it works in Maryland is I have to pay sales tax regardless of having a state resale cert. No tax, hah- its merely deferred, so anything I bought in state - tax gets paid on. I pay tax wether it went on to another user or wether I converted to property used by my business. Stuff I bought out of state or or outside the country is a whole nother matter subject to income tax. Keep good records and assume eventually you will get audited, then it won't be so traumatic. A good accountant as was stated above, will help you deal with the auditors.
    Last edited by Greg Blank; 21-Dec-2011 at 16:42. Reason: run on sentences.
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Picture Snappin' Fool Black Lightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    ny is done quarterly. you better get em done before the end of Dec...
    Actually, New York sales tax returns for the third quarter were due yesterday.

In my "real" business I file as a sole proprietor. I collect no taxes but am charged income tax or whatever from what I bring in (I can't charge taxes anyway on services I believe, which is 99% of what I do). Luckily I have plenty of write-offs every year that keep most of the taxes away. I usually get a small refund.

I don't have the money for an accountant, nor do I think I need one. I hope that's true anyway

Interestingly I have no problem filing LF camera gear as a business expense, compared to digital stuff, because apparently modern cameras are classified as hobbyist stuff, not professional work gear, or some such thing. They only give you so much room for the description so not like they can decipher "Chamonix4x5ViewCam" anyway!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    From the stand point of what the governments provide taxes are a necessary evil. Sweden I beleive has you beat. They tax income at 40-50%. However they as I also beleive have one of the most prosperous economies going and also have heavily invested in clean energy technologies. I think if a government utilizes a fair income tax system sales tax is not required. Maybe the answer is to make sure no one gets away without paying? We could brand everyone so they can be kept track of. Everyone wanting to be branded raise your middle finger for the process
    We are not far behind Sweden:
    Income tax can hit 49 percent (combine federal and state, 24% fed and 25% QC)
    Federal sales tax is 5 percent (GST)
    Provincial sales tax on top, is 9.5 starting in Jan.
    The 9.5 is calculated on the item amount PLUS the 5% GST.
    There is supplemental tax on fuel, license plates and in my city, a $45.00 per car head tax.
    There is a luxury tax on some items.
    All cars and trucks with 5 liter engines face an extra tax.
    There is a Tire tax
    An engine oil disposal tax
    There is a special tax on blank DVD and CDs
    There is a mandatory public transit contribution tax
    I can go on all night if you like, the list is long, but you get the idea and at the very end of the day,

There is an estate tax when go and leave what is left to your kids too!

That said, we pay far too much tax, but it sure sounds like you don't pay enough in the US.
    The GST sales tax system is reasonably fair. 9.5 % provincial on top (9.97) is a bit much.
    Now if only they would stop squandering and deliver some of the services they promise us in exchange those taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    If only it was Halloween.

I'm particularly interested in hearing your sales tax horror stories from being a part-time or semi-professional photographer, extra points for New Yorkers.
    Here in QC photogs have been labeled "suspect" and we are often subject to mini snap tax audits. You get a letter and 15 days to answer X questions and provide the paperwork. If you don't get it right, full audit.
    I have had 2 mini audits and not had to pay, my books are clean and very tight.
    Last time they sent me a note demanding 257 dollars because I had not filed a paper they requested. I am appealing because they never asked for that paper and I have their letters to prove my argument.

My accountant will charge far more than the $257 on this dispute and the Gov will end up with no extra dollars.

But they try.....every few fiscal quarters!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    We are not far behind Sweden:

... but it sure sounds like you don't pay enough in the US.

....Now if only they would stop squandering and deliver some of the services they promise us in exchange those taxes.
    That might be good enough reason to re-aim our nukes- north

At the heart of it all thats it.... about how the money is spent. I read an article this week that stated the US has slipped two notches in terms of the Democratic freedoms of its overall society. Sweden again was at the top of the list. Canada from what I remember was pretty far down the list maybe a few positions above the US (Not sure).
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com