Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which is finer grained: the best B&W film, or the best transparency film?

which is finer grained: the best B&W film, or the best transparency film?

Hey guys, another LF film question. Please keep responses right on topic! (i.e., I don't need any advice except on the exact question I am raising...).

I have a project where I need to shoot an 8x10 image that resolves the finest possible details, so what I need is the finest-grained, sharpest film available for 8x10. My ONLY criteria here is to get the finest-grained possible image on film, and NOTHING else matters (i.e., it doesn't matter if it is color versus B&W, or low-versus-high contrast, or positive versus negative, etc.). So should I shoot the finest-grained B&W film (and what is that by the way??) or a transparency film like Provia 100F or Velvia?

~cj

It would be tough to beat Tech Pan, and it's available in 8x10".

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=233139&is=USA

What David said.

Kodak Technical Pan. No contest. Some care will be needed in processing to to get the contrast you want but it's easily do-able. 8x10/50 sheets, Cat No 852 1817.

J and C have a product called Gigabit Film that claims to have a 700LPM resolving ability. The URL is http://jandcphotography.com/Page4x5.htm

The only thing is it's 4x5. Check it out.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

All of the above are quite correct.

But be very careful with the term “fine grain” when you mean sharpness. It will bite you in the butt when it comes time to select a developer for this project.

Fine grain is a euphemism for the results from a developer with silver solvents which disguise the grain structure by softening it. The theory seems to be that if you can’t see the grain it will appear small or fine. Problem is, softened mushy grain tends to degrade the sharpness you desire.

To be absolutely technically correct, “sharpness”, like “clarity” isn’t a proper photographic term. The films and developers you need will have labels like “resolution” and “accutance”.

Color film and chromogenic film are much finer grain than B&W, but not nearly so sharp. Quite mushy by comparison.

So when you select your sharp B&W film with maximum resolution, look for a high-accutance developer to complete the job. A fine grain developer like Microdol will undo your fine work.

Thanks for your responses. Are you guys certain that Tech Pan is finer-grained than any of the transparency films such as Profia 100F? Or are you only certain that Tech Pan is the finest-grained B&W film?

Chris- Tech Pan is more than just a fine grained B&W film. It's the only film that, as the image is enlarged, more information, that on other films would begin to break down, comes out of hiding. Up to a point, there's more real info in a larger print than in a smaller one. Details emerge as opposed to fall to pieces. I know of no transparency film that does anything like that.

Two words; Tech Pan

ALL black and white films are "sharper" than ALL color films. If you are going for sharpness at all cost, to the exclusion of everything else, Kodalith developed in lith developer is it. Technical Pan is a comprimise between lith film and pictorial film. If you are careful and use special developers you can control the contrast. Ilford Ortho film compares favorably with Technical Pan but has an entirely different spectral sensitivity. Technical Pan lightens red and Ortho darkens it.