Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: choosing between Sekonic L-488 and Pentax Spotmeter V

Re: choosing between Sekonic L-488 and Pentax Spotmeter V

Could you glue the plastic case back together?
    Possibly, I have not had a chance to pull it apart at home, I couldn't fix it while I was out. The battery compartment has moved, one battery is now a couple off mm short of making a circuit, which with luck is the only problem.

Did you ever get one or the other? I have the classic Spotmeter V and appreciate the way it decisively snaps the analog needle onto the reading. It makes "scanning" the scene for brightness range easy and dramatic.

But it weighs an entire pound. I'm a backpacker and invested in a Sekonic that weighs a half pound. I was upset that I had to accept an incident dome on top because it is wasted weight to me. But it is light enough and "compact" enough to make it into the field. The Spotmeter V stays home for "lab" work. This L-488 looks like it might be easy to slip into a pocket. You would never say that about the analog Pentax.

But you know you can use your reflective meter to do the Zone System. And you can use your Incident Meter to do "Beyond the Zone System" - so you don't really have to buy a spot meter.

I have purchased the L-488 and it should get here tomorrow or thursday. I hope find having a spot meter to be a good purchase. My current meter is new and does great...but only does reflective or incident readings.