Thread: Where to get color Prints made? Or do scans?

Where to get color Prints made? Or do scans?

OK, I've been doing my own wetplate and LF B&W. Now I bought some color LF. Does everyone scan and print from a computer now? A search of this site revealed 2-3 year old threads about mail-in companies, the two mentioned are no longer doing it.

Does anyone print from color negatives or transparencies, the wet, darkroom way anymore? I've shot some Portra, and the two "high end photo" shops in town just do scans then print on a printer. And it costs a ton. I assumed doing some 4x5 enlargements to 8x10, and printing old school, would still be cheaper and possible. I also assume inkjet prints aren't as archival.

I'm glad I have just put my toes in for color LF film, because I can't see spending $20 + dollars for every print. The one place will do wet contact printing, but these are only 4x5s. Pretty small, and my goal is to shoot some Petzval shots in color...big!

Re: Where to get color Prints made? Or do scans?

You've got to be kidding me? NO one on the LF board gets color contact prints done anywhere?

I make contact prints from color negatives, but I'm fortunate to be local to an adult ed photo center that still has color darkroom facilities.

For the rest of my color work though, I scan it and print through a lab, on a lightjet.

Dan

EDIT: I don't print every picture though. A 16x20 costs me approx. $100 or so to have printed into Fuji Supergloss. That is after I've scanned it myself. Then to pay for mounting onto archival high quality ragboard, I'm looking at ~$200/print or so. Not cheap, but way better than Costco quality.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    OK, I've been doing my own wetplate and LF B&W. Now I bought some color LF. Does everyone scan and print from a computer now? A search of this site revealed 2-3 year old threads about mail-in companies, the two mentioned are no longer doing it.

Does anyone print from color negatives or transparencies, the wet, darkroom way anymore? I've shot some Portra, and the two "high end photo" shops in town just do scans then print on a printer. And it costs a ton. I assumed doing some 4x5 enlargements to 8x10, and printing old school, would still be cheaper and possible. I also assume inkjet prints aren't as archival.

I'm glad I have just put my toes in for color LF film, because I can't see spending $20 + dollars for every print. The one place will do wet contact printing, but these are only 4x5s. Pretty small, and my goal is to shoot some Petzval shots in color...big!
    Costco makes very good color prints up to 20x30 from scans. I forget the exact cost but it's way less than $20 a print, something like a dollar for an 8x10 and $8-$9 for a 20x30. I only use them for the 20x30 size since I can't go that large on my printer but I've been very pleased with the results. There's a thread here from about a year ago in which quite a few other people commented on what a surprisingly good job Costco does.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

http://www.4photolab.com/ Edgar still runs RA-4 and is a master color printer. Not the cheapest but neither is he ridiculously expensive. If you're looking for "cheap" then DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    You've got to be kidding me? NO one on the LF board gets color contact prints done anywhere?
    I don't send it out, I do my own in my darkroom. I do C-41 for the negs and RA-4 for prints. All optical workflow. From 35mm up through 8x10. Not going to stop until the supplies run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Langendonk View Post
    I don't send it out, I do my own in my darkroom. I do C-41 for the negs and RA-4 for prints. All optical workflow. From 35mm up through 8x10. Not going to stop until the supplies run out.
    Where are you located Dave?

Can I hire you to do some 8x10 color contacts.

Just waiting to be developed..

LTI in NYC has a great traditional color darkroom department.
    They can do everything up to mural from 8x10s. They also do traditional contact sheets from any size film, color or B&W.
    They even do enlarged contact sheets from medium format and 35mm.
    I have used them for years and they have always done amazing work.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Where are you located Dave?

Can I hire you to do some 8x10 color contacts.
    I'm in Southwest Michigan. PM me with what you have in mind.