Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara

I will be in Santa Barbara for 4 days at the end of this week and am looking for good LF subjects. Main interests are architecture and landscape. Will be able to get out and about, and don't have to be any specific place at any time. Just a shooting trip for me while my wife is there on business. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Santa Barbara

I haven't shot there a lot, but I lived there for many years. For architecture, the Santa Barbara County Courthouse is definitely worth visiting. Mission Santa Barbara is also a wonderful subject. Thousand Steps Beach is worth checking out if you want to go somewhere with fewer tourists. Elwood Shores is something like 10--15 miles west of downtown SB. It good bluffs, wind-sculpted trees, etc.

Damn, now I'm getting nostalgic. Hope this helps!

Santa Barbara

Tripods are illegal in the city of Santa Barbara. Yes, I realize this sounds a bit weird, but it is true. I have been thrown out of the harbor and off the streets. I have used the tripod inside the courthouse, under my assumption that it is county land, and therefore city laws will not apply.

If you want to have fun using LF, go elsewhere.

Beverly Hills, California

Santa Barbara

Frank are you sure? I've seen photo students out in S.B. with tripods and 4x5's in the park. Anyone else with experience out there in S.B.?

Santa Barbara

Try Mission La Purisma Concepcion near Lompoc for architecture. Its a restored California State Park----really cool, but get there early and/or mid-week.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Santa Barbara

I just downloaded the Santa Barbara City Municipal Code (a 10 MByte Word file). The word "tripod" does not appear in the document. I did, however, find this tidbit:

Tax - Photographers - Transient.

Every person carrying on the business of a photographer, who has no fixed place of business within the City, shall pay an annual tax of sixty dollars ($60.00). Every person engaged in the business of soliciting or canvassing or taking orders, for the taking or making of photographs or views, who does not have a fixed place of business within the City, shall pay a tax of five dollars ($5.00) per day for each such canvasser, solicitor or photographer. (Ord. 2930 §37, 1963.)

Santa Barbara

A) Never had a problem with a tripod in Santa Barbara.

B) Try the gigantic fig tree in the little park next to the train station. The tree is the park essentially. Unless you like carved-in-the-wood graffiti though, it is difficult subject. I cloned out the graffiti in my images and it took a long time.

C) There are cliffs in a residential just north of the main beaches where the sun (in December at least) rises across water and over some hills. You'd think sunrise on the west coast would be an unlikely subject but it works.

D) The courthouse is Spanish colonial Moorish gothic schlock. But it is a good subject nonetheless. It is a working courthouse so weekends are by far the best time.

E) For whatever reason, it certainly isn't the reasonably-priced real estate, the people are very friendly.
    John Hennessy

Santa Barbara

My understanding is that stucents from Brooks are allowed to use tripods. Professionals get some form of permit/license. The rest of us get tickets or chased off. Personally, I have been chased off by a policeman.

So, yes, I believe you are not allowed to use a tripod in the city of Santa Barbara.

YMMV

Santa Barbara

Frank is a very shady character and it is no wonder the police ran him off. All the police would feel uneasy with Frank in town much less photographing.

leec

Santa Barbara

Now Lee, be nice. No need to tell our friends about all my secrets.