Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy Jobo CPA-2?

Dodgy Jobo CPA-2?

I just bought a Jobo CPA-2 off ebay and I'm scratching my head over it a bit. Can those with experience help me out?
    The unit doesn't have a drain tap anywhere in the base; wasn't this standard? Did any CPA units come out without a drain in the lower tank?
    The recirc pump makes a lot of noise but I can't see any indication of water moving. How obvious should the water recirculation be?
    When I first started the unit the rotation cogs turned for about 5 seconds and then stopped and haven't worked since. Is there anything I need to reset (its missing 2 white retaining clips) to get the rotation motor going?
    I have been using the excellent copy of the manual provided by Sirius here but I'm still stumped.
    Returning it would probably mean I'll be out of pocket for postage both ways so if there are ways I can refurbish/rebuild/fix I'll probably be better off.
    Thanks for any help
    Steve
    Home is always just beyond the next photograph
    Tumut, NSW, Australia
    A Glass Eye & Three Wooden Legs

Michael Alpert

Re: Dodgy Jobo CPA-2?

Steve,

I am sure other forum members are more knowledgeable about these gizmos than I am. My CPA-2 has a drain plug at the control end, the water circulation is instantly obvious, the motor works by just turning the power dial and turning the motor dial, and it has all of its parts (the clips are necessary). Your CPA-2 is odd, broken, and incomplete. I suggest that you send it back to its current owner and accept your shipping losses. All Jobos are a little dodgy; from what you've posted, it sounds like the one you received is nothing but trouble.

re: recirculating pump, you do need to have a a good level of water in the reservoir in order for it to pump. otherwise it makes a gawdawful racket until it actually moves water.

re:drain. should be on the bottom left side unless previous owner closed it up for some reason

re:non rotation. no idea and hope your motor isn't shot. did you notice any burning smells when it quit ? maybe might need to be lubricated ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I agree with Michael, you should send it back- but I don't agree all Jobos are dodgy .

I have been doing Jobo repairs in the US for about six years, so I have a pretty good knowledge- "I think"...knowledge of the way they should work.

If sending it back is not an option:

I can sell you the drain tap/ and white clips or provide someone closer that can.

If the water pump is noisy it means that the motor is running but there is no movement of the impeller. That could be that something is plugged up or stuck temperarily, if you have the same version of the manual as I do check page 42 illustration 9&10. That page describes how to clean and check the impellor. The biggest problem at this point is that the water pumps are no longer available. I have had decent results refurbing them, but it depends what is wrong. The white clips are needed on older style lifts as Michael stated, however new style lifts don't have white clips at all. if you would like email me through my site or PM me and I will give you an email address to send me photos of the lift.

Non rotation of the motor is the most serious issue, beyond what a user can repair or trouble shoot. Could be the motor or the circuitry itself. Send me the photos, I can get an idea of the condition, also knowing the serial number should help determne what you have. (Found on the silver label next to NR)
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Thanks for your replys guys.
    I put 17 litres of water in it so lack of water should not be an issue. There is definately no drain anywhere on the machine and no provision for it anywhere.

I would love to send it back but postage was $85 on a $500 item so returning it would be a $170 lesson in the perils of ebay with nothing more to show but my wisdom.

I even noticed today that the lift mechanism is from a CPE model (ouch). It still seems to accept the 3010 drum though.

Greg - my manual doesn't have the details you mentioned (at least not on that page). Do you have a copy you could send me? I appreciated the link to the white clip replacement you gave.
    I was wondering if the lack of white clips could stop the motor (I'm even wondering if there may be a broken one jamming the gears). I have ordered more white clips, so will pull the lift mechanism apart when they arrive.

I guess I have to decide wether to send it back and try and reclaim postage as well or keep it and do a major refurbishment from the bottom up. I had hoped for a simple buy & process solution but it looks like I may be hand rolling my 3010 drum on my floor for a while
    cheers
    Steve
    Tumut, NSW, Australia

I bought a spare CPA-2 last year and that didn't have a drain so maybe they were issued without one?

I have an early CPP-2 and it doesn't have a drain, either. That must have been added after Jobo received many complaints.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I siphon the water out of my CPE-2, and it goes pretty quick. You should be able to do the same with your CPA. (My CPP is a later one, so it comes with the drain.)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

If there is a hole for the drain you can get the drain tap at US Plastics for like $3. It is the exact same model that shipped with my Jobo- don't buy a more expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    If there is a hole for the drain you can get the drain tap at US Plastics for like $3. It is the exact same model that shipped with my Jobo- don't buy a more expensive one.
    Good advice. There is no hole however. How easy would it be to cut one?
    Tumut, NSW, Australia