Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am ordering an Ebony RW810 on Friday...

I am ordering an Ebony RW810 on Friday...

After selling a bunch of stuff on eBay and having to deal with problem buyers, I am now ready to make the jump to 8x10. I have sold all of my 35mm and medium format equipment, except for two lenses and a Canon 5DMKII, which I might also leaning towards selling. I even made a trip to Phoenix last weekend to sell some of my firearm related items in order to add to my "Ebony Fund."

After considering a number of options, I just decided to save my pennies and get the camera I really want. For me, it happens to be the Ebony RW810. I plan to be using a 300, 360, and maybe something in the 450 range for lenses, so the RW810 should work fine for me.

So far, the best price I have found is with Midwest Photo Exchange, so I'll be dealing with them on Friday when I place my order. I've read a lot of positive comments about them in this forum so I am confident that the transaction will be smooth.

Anyone here made a large purchase with Midwest?

-Daniel

Drew Wiley

Re: I am ordering an Ebony RW810 on Friday...

They're good folks, and if you have the budget for it, that's going to be one superb
    camera to use.

I bought my first Ebony from Jim, they are good people to work with.

I am Photographing with an slw810 and it is a joy to work with. For your longer lens work the RW should be great. Enjoy!

www.timeandlight.com

funkadelic

Why not try a less expensive camera to see if working with a new format fits your vision?

Also bought an Ebony 8x10 from Jim. No worries.

Cheers, Steve

Drew Wiley

Why not just get the best to begin with. Exchange rates are a little rough at the moment, but that won't improve any time soon, and it takes awhile to get accustomed
    to any specific camera to the point that functionality becomes instinctive. Why buy
    something inferior then just turn around and sell it for a loss to get what you really
    wanted? Besides, an Ebony will keep a higher resale value anyway, just in case. It's
    expensive, but less than a clunker used car, and quality-wise in its own league.

funkadelic

The OP mentions it being a new format. I concluded from the post that he is used to smaller formats. While the results can be a nice change, working with an 8x10 camera isn't for everyone.
    If you've got the money, buy the best of everything. Not all of us have your unrestricted budget.
    I see it as sane advice for someone to get their feet wet first before committing to a dive.

Drew Wiley

I certainly don't have anything remotely resembling an unrestricted budget, but I do
    think long and hard and then buy the best that I can. The OP has evidently done the
    same and obviously understands that Ebony doesn't come cheap. I personally use one
    of the first 8X10's that Dick Phillips made which I got very reasonably. The only Ebony
    I own is a 4x5, but given its level of quality, has made me generally very pleased I
    didn't buy a cheaper camera, though I've seen just about all of em in operation over
    the years and understand the pros and cons. There are a lot of really nice view camera options out there right now, so one certainly doesn't have to own an Ebony
    to get a modern high-quality folder. But the level of end-user satisfaction is apparent
    by how few of these come up for re-sale. The titanium hardware is simply the best,
    and the wood has been especially well cured and precisely joined. Not everything is
    outright perfect in my dictionary, but overall, about the best one can get in a wooden
    camera right now.

The Ebony is a fine camera. I have the baby brother, an RW45. I cannot afford the RW810 but, if I could, I certainly would not hesitate. As others have said, 8x10 isn't for everybody. A lesson I leaned the relatively inexpensive way (it is not for me).

It is not too late to buy my Tachihara GF810

I hear you loud and clear and I thought about it and almost made a purchase from a member of this forum for a more reasonably priced camera, but it fell through when one of my ebay sales had to be re-listed.

In the end I just decided to sell a few more items and make a run for the Ebony. There are some particular things I like about the camera, and my experience with 4x5 has definitely helped to shape my decision.

It basically comes down to what Drew pointed out. I don't want to purchase a camera that I may end up not being happy with, for whatever reason, and then have to sell it at a loss and purchase another camera. I did that with my tripod. I bought an Induro tripod because I wanted to save a few dollars over a Gitzo, and boy do I regret it.

As for making sure the format is for me, all I can say is that I've wanted to move up to 8x10 for a long time. I have been shooting my Arca Swiss 4x5 for a few years now, and through that experience I've decided what elements I prefer in a view camera, and what I can live without. I'm pretty confident that I will not be disappointed in my decision. Ever since I looked through the ground glass of an 8x10 and viewed a chrome on a light table, I was sold.

I was able to finance this camera by just selling stuff that I don't use anymore. From camera gear to old boy scout patches. I was able to raise the necessary funds without dipping into my savings or purchasing on credit (which I hate doing). Man, you would be surprised how much old scout patches can fetch!

I can appreciate your advice; 8x10 may not be for everyone, better to be sure before shelling out the cash. In my case, I trust my intuition. We'll see how it goes.

-DP

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Why not try a less expensive camera to see if working with a new format fits your vision?