Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Continuous Ink System: Opinions?

Continuous Ink System: Opinions?

Hi,
    I'm considering buying my first digital printer, an Epson 2400, and I'm looking into continuous ink systems.
    I found this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250407322243...ht_1142wt_1066

Are these viable systems? What should I be aware of when considering/buying something like this? Are the inks of good quality?

Any help is appreciated, I'm very new to digital printing.

Thanks in advance

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Continuous Ink System: Opinions?

We tried a similar system, a "Niagra IV" with an Epson printer at my high school a few years ago. I couldn't get it to work, two computer technology teachers couldn't get it to work, the district's Technology Department couldn't get it to work, volunteers from a local digital photo club couldn't get it to work, and several technology savvy parents couldn't get it to work. We never got a satisfactory print from it, and finally threw the whole thing out.

It did, however, successfully void the warranty on the Epson printer.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Yes, but Mark, did you ask the janitor to see if he could make it work?

You probably should have asked a nine-year-old.

I used a continuous ink system for a few years with an Epson printer for doing direct-on-CD printing in my recording business. It was a great system and extremely economical. I only moved on when I bought a printer that could print 100 CD's at a time.

I highly recommend it, but admittedly I never did any printing of really high-detail things, mostly just text and some basic photos, but I was always very pleased and surprised with the detail and sharpness of the printer/ink.

Personally when you run out I would suggest buying a whole new system rather than the "refills" for the ink bottles. They aren't that much cheaper and the ink is very hard to get in the bottles without a massive mess. Also if you move the printer be extra careful for the ink vials (I speak from unfortunate experience...).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The Epson R2400 is an older printer, you should look into the newer Epson R3000 that has an upgraded ink system (K3 + Vivid Magenta).

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    The Epson R2400 is an older printer, you should look into the newer Epson R3000 that has an upgraded ink system (K3 + Vivid Magenta).
    Hell, I'd love a 3880, but my budget is already tight.
    People with more experience have told me to jump into digital printing gently, spending as little money as is warranted for quality gear.

Having bought an R2400 recently I have to say with no regrets, great printer superb results.

I may well buy a similar Continuous Ink system but from a UK supplier, but around the same price, there are others identical at 3 or 4 times the price too !!!

I'd say to darr my Epson Photo stylus EX thrown out by a friend for banding only gave up the ghost because I left it unused too long - while abroad in Turkey. It's swings and roundabouts now with excellewnt printers all highly capable but with diferent issues with inks/running costs.

Ian

I used three types of CIS with 2200s and one with a 2400. The two most successful and easiest to use were the i-Ink ones from Ink Republic. The bottles are easy to fill, and the whole system was problem-free. The worst was the Niagara IV - it leaked and it suffered from frequent air locks. The other system was an early Flux. Apart from the Septone, Cone and self-mixed B&W inks, I used ink from the larger Epson printers - the large cartridges are very easy to open and drain.

Good luck,
    Helen

Thank you, Ian and Helen, for your input.

"It did, however, successfully void the warranty on the Epson printer."Quoted from Mark Sawyer

Epson would have you believe that using 3rd party inks will void your warranty, but in
    my experience that is not legal. At least in Canada. Heads are a lot more robust than the techs would have you believe. When I moved from the prairies to the the Island four years ago my printers had to be left in storage for a while. Two of them were totally clogged. Bringing back the heads was not that difficult. A little Isopropyl alcohol dissolved the clogs. I cleaned the rubber squeegee and flooded the sponge where the head parks. Then forced a high pressure cleaning cycle.

The most important thing is to make sure that the CIS carts are properly primed and that means no air in the system.