Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ries Head on a Gitzo Tripod

Ries Head on a Gitzo Tripod

For the last several years, i have used a Gitzo tripod with an Arca-Swiss ball head and a Monfrotto head that provides geared panning, front tilt and lateral tilt.

Last week I purchased a Ries tripod and head from a participant in this forum. There are one or two old posts on this forum that briefly refer to mounting a Ries head on a Gitzo tripod, and I thought that I would try it and post some photos.

First, here is an 8x10 monorail mounted on the Ries head and tripod. The head is engraved with "Ries Jr. Model Photoplane Tilt Head". It is similar to, if not identical to, what Ries now calls a J250 Double Tilt Head, and is rated for 16lb/7.3kg. The knob on the extreme left controls front tilt. Below that knob and a bit to the right, there is a small black knob that controls lateral tilt. There is also a screw that goes up through the centre of the tripod's crown to which one attaches the head. One pans by loosening this screw and turning the whole head.

The plate at the top of the head is about 4"/10.5cm square. In the photograph, there is an Arca-Swiss clamp between the plate and a 50cm-long block that holds the camera's rail.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Re: Ries Head on a Gitzo Tripod

In this photo, I have mounted the camera and Ries head on a Gitzo tripod. I have front and lateral tilt, but it is necessary to move the tripod legs to pan. Placing a bit of paper towel between the crown of the Gitzo tripod and the Ries head also gives a little panning flexibility.

Here, I have mounted a 4x5 monorail on the Ries head and Gitzo tripod. The main difference between the two photographs is that there is no Arca-Swiss clamp between the block (in this case about 8cm long) that holds the camera's rail, and the Ries head. Instead, the block is screwed directly to the Ries head.

Finally, here is the 4x5 on the Ries head and Gitzo tripod with 90º of front tilt. This photograph clearly shows both the front tilt knob (top left) and the lateral tilt knob (the black knob below it and a little further to the left)

I also tried mounting my Manfrotto head, which is a model 410, on the Ries tripod, but it is not very satisfactory. The lowest knob on the 410 (the one that controls front tilt) winds up just slightly to the outside of the Ries plate, but a few millimeters below it. As a result, the knob catches against the plate if one uses the front tilt function.

I am very impressed with the Ries head. It is a pleasure to use, it is simple and it is built like a tank. Although it isn't geared, at 2.5lb/1.1kg it is also slightly lighter than the Manfrotto 410.

I also think that it is quite usable on a Gitzo tripod unless one wants/needs geared panning. One could also use a Novoflex or Really Right Stuff panning base between the Ries head and the camera.
    Last edited by r.e.; 30-Nov-2011 at 16:37.

Good info and photos. How solid is it with the 8x10? Is it like a tank or a 4 cylinder? Thanks.

I think that it is very, very solid. The 8x10 weighs 9lb/4.1kg plus lens. The Ries head is rated for 16lb/7.3kg and I'm pretty sure that it will take more than that. If there is a weak link, it is the Arca-Swiss clamp between the head and the block for the camera's rail. This may be more in my head than a real issue, but I am thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of the block so that I can mount it directly to the head (see the photo of the 4x5).

Ries makes a beefier head - same design but bigger, and of course heavier - but I don't think that I need it.

Why doesn't it pan with non-Ries tripods? That seems like an annoyance. A panning base would get the weight almost up to the level of my Gitzo.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Why doesn't it pan with non-Ries tripods?
    This photo shows the top foot or so of a Ries tripod lying on the floor. You will see a column running from the center of the tripod's crown, parallel with the leg, that ends in a knob. This column emerges at the top of the crown as a 3/8" screw, to which one affixes the Ries head by turning the knob at the bottom of the column.

To pan: turn the knob, loosening the 3/8" screw, then turn the whole head in whatever direction you want to pan, then re-tighten the screw.

In other words, the panning function is built into the tripod crown, not the head. Basically, to pan you loosen the connection between the crown and the head. The way this is designed, you don't have to worry about loosening the screw so much that the head comes completely loose from the crown.
    Last edited by r.e.; 30-Nov-2011 at 17:31.

I might add that I think Ries has reasonably good customer service. I called them to order a 3/8" screw for the head because the head that I purchased came with a 1/4" screw (this is an assembly, not something you pick up at the local hardware store). It took them a couple of days to get back to me - not lightning fast, but they are a small company in a small town - and they were pleasant to deal with on the phone. The screw arrived promptly. While on the phone, I learned that Ries is pronounced Reese, in case anyone is wondering

The specs for the J250 head are here: http://riestripods.com/heads.php It costs $297. An additional screw is $25.

Someone sent me a note asking which Gitzo tripod is in the photos. It is part of the so-called Systematic line. The model number is G1325 Mk 2 and it is made of carbon fibre. It is rated for 25lb/11kg and has 3 leg extensions with a maximum height of 59"/1.5m. This model has been superseded by a similar tripod with a different model number.

The effect of tilting a 4x5 camera (which in this case weighs 7lb/3.2kg plus lens) 90 degrees with this tripod is to make the back leg of the tripod a little light. It is stable, but ... If I were going to do this outdoors, maybe also indoors given clumsy feet syndrome, I would want to weight/anchor that leg.