Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for tripod etc for 4x5 and 8x10 in the future

Re: Looking for tripod etc for 4x5 and 8x10 in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    Thanks r.e.

Does anyone have experience with the G1515 or the G1500?
    Both seem heavy enough but the 1515 only extends to 1.2m.
    You will be fine with 3 leg extensions, no need to go to 2, but I'd suggest staying away from 4.

For your purposes, you are on the right track looking at the Systematic tripods.

Look at collapsed length too if you might travel with it.

I am very impressed with the Ries tripod and head that I just purchased, although as a person whose experience is with carbon fiber tripods, the weight of the Ries tripod is noticeable. For short distances, it is fine, and the infinite leg positioning is interesting. I don't know whether it is much heavier than the Gitzo aluminum that you are looking at. As for the head, I think that it is brilliant, and the price very attractive.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

r.e, I looked at the Reis and am impressed with the prices and they have a good rep.
    Shipping to Australia would add more money though. I can get the Gitzo locally.

I will consider a Reis head; thanks for the suggestion.

If you are searching for a tripod for an 8X10. Check out the Miller tripods. I believe they are/were made in Oz, at least that is what my Miller's tag reads. It is not a light weight tripod. Made of wood and with metal hardware. Primarily made for motion picture work, but adaptable to still photography.
    I purchased mine without a head for $50 USD and have seen them for $100 with a Miller fluid head. I installed a Manfrotto ball head adaptor and plan on using the Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 head.

Good hunting,

Jose

Thanks Jose, I will keep an eye out.

Anyone know about this tripod?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Linhof-Pr...#ht_541wt_1185

Linhof has a very good reputation. The description doesn't show a height and the head has only tilt.
    Having one axis tilt is not really a problem, look at the Reis that people like so much. The Linhof looks at first glance like a cine head but doesn't have a handle or anything that looks like damping mechanisms. They do tend to be overbuilt.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    Thanks r.e.

Does anyone have experience with the G1515 or the G1500?
    Both seem heavy enough but the 1515 only extends to 1.2m.
    I use the G1500 with G1570M head with my Toyo 810G and have found it to be a rock solid support (I use 2 tripod blocks with the camera which the plate of the G1570has sufficient room for). But while suitable for a heavy camera like the 810G, the G1500 would be way overkill for a 4x5.

A far better 4x5 (and MF) choice would be the G1348 which weighs in at a tad under 5lbs without the center column which you don't need, and the Arca Swis Z1. I use that combination with my Toyo 45AX and P67II and found it to be rock solid. for example I am able to shoot the P67II at a slow shutter speed with a Pentax 400mm 67 lens (7 lbs) mounted off-axis with zero migration or visible vibration.

But for light weight and compact backpacking with a Toyo 45CF (~ 4lbs with normal lens attached) I use a Gitzo GT0540 with G1177M head. I wouldn't recommend using a ball head with a monorail camera especially an 8x10 monorail.

Thomas

You pretty quickly realize that you need multiple tripods for different cameras....

A #3 Gitzo is nice and solid for a 4x5 field camera and all-around. Of course smaller and lighter is always nicer for travel and backpacking. But you could also watch for a good deal on the big #5 and have that "overkill" which is always nice if you don't have to carry the tripod far.

Really anything the size of a Tiltall or larger would be a good match with a 4x5 Cambo, unless you have the fancy all-geared studio model that weighs a lot more than the basic friction-lock versions.

That old Linhof is a beast, they still make the legset but it costs $$$$. The head was meant to be used with a monorail that allowed Yaw movements at the rail clamp.

FWIW, I use a Gitzo 340/1370M combination for loads up to about 12 pounds and a Gitzo 1505/1570M combination for heavier stuff. Both of the leg sets are 3-section, no center column.

Thanks guys.

That Linhof is over 7 kilos so it may not be the right one for me, but it is cheaper by far than most others I've seen.

So far a Gitzo is looking the goods and the 1500 (being quite a bit cheaper than some others) is in 1st place.

My main tripod is a Series 5 Gitzo, I forget the exact model. I have both flat plates and a slide column for it. The column can be handy in some situations. It's pretty substantial. I use the tripod for everything from 35mm to 8x10, although it's main use is with a Dslr or a 4x5 Toyo AX. If I'm in muck, I prefer a wooden tripod with huge spiked feet.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know