Thread: Spotlight Focusing Aid

Spotlight Focusing Aid

Slow lenses and/or low light conditions can make focusing and composing very difficult. A partial answer to this problem is the use of one of the cordless spotlights now readily available. I just replaced my older one with a 500,000 candlepower unit that I find particularly desirable. It has a 1/4"-/20 socket in the handle and a lock "on" button, so it can be used by those not fortunate enough to have an assistant. It projects a nice beam of light which is bright enough at distance to enable you to find "infinity" focus with ease. At closer distances, its little spot is bright enough to make you think your f18 Protar V has suddenly become an f4.5. Unlike my old unit, its center illumination is even enough that you might find it usable as a light source while photographing some small abject.

Disadvantages? One big one. It weighs nearly three pounds, so the backpackers are unlikely to want to carry it up Mount Huge; but if you can drive your car close to where you will be working it's a handy tool. At a cost of ten bucks, it's cheap enough to be affordable even if you expect to be able to use it only occasionally.

You might find an equivalent item at your local home supply store, but I bought mine from Harbor Freight tools, www.harborfreight.com. It is their Model 43972.

Spotlight Focusing Aid

Hi Ernest -

They're great gadgets, aren't they? I used one in a very dark church a while back. I was the only one in there, and I would light up various parts of the field of view while I was focusing.

Small flashlights are also good. Turn it on and place it in the picture at the near point to help with adjusting tilt. Just remember to remove it!

Spotlight Focusing Aid

Armin is right on. Get the most powerful "geek" laser pointer you can find. Attach or rest it on something and you can focus on its "spot" out to 50m easily.