Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A camera store lament

A camera store lament

While visiting in Houston this last week, I had an opportunity to visit what used to be my favorite camera store there. But, as was the case the last few times I went, there was really nothing to interest me there any more. I weep for the dozens of display cases and hundreds of bins full of old and interesting stuff that used to fill the Houston Camera Exchange. That space is now filled with lighting equipment and camera bags. When I left there after 15 minutes, I was depressed.

As a means of moving around the day after Thanksgiving, and without getting anywhere near a shopping mall, I searched around for a camera store that might have escaped my attention from the old days. And I found the Houston Camera Co-op, in a completely different part of town (the Heights) than had been my old stomping grounds when I grew up there (Southwest Houston). My father and I went there on Friday just for a look. It's small, but it actually had stuff to look at. I came away with a metered prism for my second Pentax 6x7 body ($89), the remains of a set of Bogen 3040 legs that will provide two key spare parts that I need ($10), and, the real find of the day, a Cibachrome drum roller that should work well with my Jobo tank ($5).

They had two handfuls of large-format lenses, a couple of cameras (a nice Cambo and a rather tired Zone VI), and all of it was quite fairly priced. And the staff were not in the least jaded and seemed to enjoy a knowledgeable customer as much as the customer enjoyed a knowledgeable and helfpful sales person.

The question is: Will they have anything more the next time I visit? Or did I mine it for all I'm ever likely to find? Their film refrigerator was no less empty than Glazer's had been when I visited there two weeks ago during a business trip to Seattle, though they did have a couple of boxes of 4x5 Ektar that Glazer's did not have.

And: What does it say about the state of camera stores that such a small little store with just a few deals and interesting tidbits should represent such a departure from the depressing norm?

Rick "lifted from his funk--for a little while" Denney

Re: A camera store lament

Some people are “There’s no place like home” people.

Others are “You can’t go home again” people.

Your melancholy homecoming gives you away – allow me to welcome you to the club! :^)

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    The question is: Will they have anything more the next time I visit?
    Not unless they manage to transform into a heavyweight webshop for LF and film. You cannot run a brick and mortar store in any niche market for well-informed or even professional buyers any more, unless it is merely the appendix of a successful online order business...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

This thread is like the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray. I clearly remember seeing this thread (specifically, the exact title) several times in the past few years. It's a shame, but it's a trend. Its been going on for so long that soon we won't have anymore stories like this to tell. What will we talk about when we are all wrinkled, senile and gray/grey (preferably 18%)?

You are lucky to have found any film and/or LF at all!

In the meantime... I'm sorry for your loss Rick, and very happy that you found some stuff you needed. Savor the memories, that's all we have... until our memory fail us.

Yup- happens to the best. Photomark here in Phoenix pulled up 50+ year roots and moved to the tourist mecca of Scottsdale to hawk camera bags and potchka to the well heeled tourist. I doubt much technical and professional gear or knowledge made the move with the store. We who practice the craft are becoming islands in the sky.

Ouch... now I lament... Photomark moved???? Last time I was there (middle of last year, perhaps) they still had 5x7 film in the fridge. I thought they would be the last of the real photo shops.

But Rick,

You have Ace Photo near you in VA. As well as some other stores.

Methinks the great capitalist engine is is systematically working its way through the old photo stores, sort of like the biological equivalent of animal evolution but blindingly faster. And, "This thought is as a death which cannot choose, But weeps to have that which it fears to lose". Savor the tidbits that remain Rick, then weep no more.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Last time I was in Jones Photo here in Tucson, all the printer paper and developing equipment had been moved into a back hallway. They had a little 4x5 film but that was it. One of the longtime workers told me he quit ordering film, because it would just expire on the shelves - no one bought it.

Yes, the great film infrastructure is going fast, just as the buggy whip manufacturers did when cars were invented. Does that mean there will be no place to buy film? No, it will always be a niche market, and online works better for that. If each city in America has only 3-4 LF shooters, it makes more sense to be an online company for each city. Not a local company for 3-4 people.

Fortunately one can still buy buggy whips (and wagon wheels too). One just can't walk to the local feed + tack shop anymore, though.