Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adox Papers

Adox Papers

Heyo,

Can someone break down the differences between the Adox VC fiber papers?

I've used the MCC 110 but not the Fine Print or Variotone.

Fine Print is triple weight vs the double weight MCC. Variotone is warm toned. That's the stuff I get.

But does anyone want to give their subjective opinions of the stuff?

Thanks

Re: Adox Papers

I use Adox Nuance graded papers. Love them. Nice hint of eggplant when lightly toned in selenium and a nice bright white paper base. Rich mid-tones with lots of separation.

Best

Doremus

P.S: Sorry for the triple post! Seems my browser or the connection are doing strange things today. I'll delete 'em.

I haven't used the Fine Print (it requires a red filter instead of OC, a deal-breaker for me), but I've used the MCC110 and the Variotone; they're both terrific.

The MCC110 is supposedly the replacement for Agfa Multicontrast Classic. However, it's got a cooler tone and a whiter base. To my eye, it's the perfect middle ground between warm-tone and cold-tone papers. It's very easy to print with, but tends to need slightly higher contrast filters than other VC papers. No question--it's a very good paper.

The Variotone is my choice between the two, because I like the warmer tone of it. It's almost indistinguishable to me from the Bergger Warm Tone paper (VCCB). The Bergger warm-tone and and Variotone are the best papers I've ever used. Part of that has to do with their long scale and ease of printing, the rest of it has to do with their color. I like to use warm-tone papers that I cool with selenium toner and Sprint optical brightener--very subjective, of course, but that's the look I go for.

Sorry to digress. To sum up, they're both excellent--MCC is more neutral in color, Variotone is warmer, and more expensive.

Thanks bro

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Latner View Post
    It's almost indistinguishable to me from the Bergger Warm Tone paper (VCCB).
    That might be due to the fact they are both made by Ilford.....

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Found this out the hard way. I really liked the older version of Bergger Warm Tone.

The current issue of View Camera has a nice comparison between many of the papers available from freestyle now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Really? How do they compare with Ilford MGWT FB?

My two standard papers for FB are MCC 110 for neutral tones and Ilford MGWT for warm. The Adox Variotone is slightly less expensive than the Ilford - from Freestyle anyway and though other places are cheaper for paper it often saves enough shipping to order from one place and get it with the rest of my Freestyle order.

It's true that Bergger and Adox are making their papers in England, at the Ilford facility, although there are small differences between what seem to be the big three of the warm-tone fiber world: Variotone, Begger VCCB, and Ilford MGWT.

What really strikes me about all this is how many great variable-contrast fiber-base printing papers there are today. I think the quality and selection is better than it was in the 80s, and certainly the 90s. I can't explain why, but I'm grateful.

Freestyle lists the country of origin and does indeed show Variotone as made in England, but MCC 110 as made in Germany.